CHAPTER 2

I NEED U TO BE THERE..... for a little more than Always!!
Part 2:
Manik and Nandini were both in the car moving towards the Malhotra Industries when Manik said,
Manik: Miss. Moorthy.... I want this contract with the Singhania's to be ready by day after tommorow. Get Shubham work over it with his team. Let it be ready and get back to me."
Nandini: Yes sir!!
and that was it, like always Nandini had her hand on it. Manik was fullt dependent on her, let it be office, home or Fab5, everything. She joined him two years back as soon as she got finished with her college. Though she was just his Personal Secretary, but actually she was the only link between Manik & his employees. What Manik did was just to give them their jobs & then Nandini took over. She interacted with them, got the projects done & reported to Manik.
Manik himself attended all his meetings and all he needed before the meeting was just a brief from Nandini. He had tried to get that brief from the project leaders and all but he was never satisfied with any of them.
Soon they reached the office breaking Manik's chain of thoughts. He got down the car & entered, closely followed by Nandini. When he thought to himself,
"Why am I weven thinking about Ms. Moorthy... I hv never really thought about her work ever. She really does a lot for me and this company. I don't know what problem Aliya has from her, but no, I can't fire her. But atleast they made me realise her work, I think I should consider giving her a raise this time in her pay check."
Both of them got into the lift and Nandini entered a password pin to the top floor which had Manik's cabin. The entire floor was reserved just for Manik, it limited room that included, his cabin, a lavish bedroom for him to take rest, a meeting hall which was only used for special meetings & last was Nandini's cabin. Only two-three higher ranking executives were allowed on that floor that too after Nandini's pass key.
Manik: Ms. Moorthy... Anything special for the investers meeting?
Nandini: So sir, its just a periodic meet to discuss the proceedings.
Manik simply nodded at it while both waited to reach the top when Nandini suddenly said,
Nandini: Excuse me Sir!!
Manik: Yes...
Nandini: I would like to recommend something from my side for the meeting if u don't mind.
Manik: Why would I Ms. Moorthy!! I think I do pay u for this only.
Nandini: Actually sir.. There are a few rumours about our new invester deals in the market from a few days.
Manik: Ohh are they??
Nandini: Yes Sir!! I think they might hv leaked this news on purpose as it might get them amzing deals coming along with the publicity. But this can be a harm for our image so if we could just get a firm hand over them and warn them for the future.
Manik: Hmnn... U r right!! Go on Ms. Moorthy... Get ur hand over them, U hv my pass.
Nandini: Sure sir...
They heard a ping form the lift as they reached the floor. Manik simply got out of the lift & soon disappered in his cabin. Nandini got into her cabin & held the chair for support.
Nandini: Ayiappa... Its been two years!! But still I m sometimes so intimidated by him. Why?? Either I m angry at him or this... Err!!
She sat on her chair & closed her eyes to take a breadth for sometime. 10 mins later, she picked up the phone & called,
Nandini: One Special Earl Grey Tea and one filter coffee.
"Sure!! Anything else Nandini Ma'am"
Nandini: Yes a quick sandwitch for me please.
"On its way ma'am"
Nandini: Thanks.. I'll be down in 5 mins.
Exactly 5 minutes later Nandini got into the lift & moved one floor down where the peon was ready with her order. She took it from him & kept her coffee & sandwitch in her office before she moved to Manik's cabin. She knocked the door & heard his reply,
"Come in Ms. Moorthy!!"
Slowly she entered the room to see Manik monitering the various department works on the cctv camera. He looked up at her as she entered.
Nandini: Sir... Your tea!!
Manik: Ohh I was just about to order it.
He took it from her and got back to his laptop screen. Nandini left his cabi silently leaving him on his own.
That evening they reached hom e& Manik said,
Manik: Ms. Moorthy.. I'll freshen up and be back. If anyone comes before I do then come up and call me.
Nandini: sure sir!!
With this Nandini got into her office & kept her purse & laptop there before moving to the kitchen. She instructed the staff to prepare snacks for the guests.15 minutes later, she was sitting in her cabin when she heard dhruv's voice, "Buddy!!"
She immediately got up and ran outside to see Fab5 there. "Good evening Sir!!"
Cabir: Ohh Hi Nandini...
Nandini: U all plz make urselves comfortable, the producers are due anytime now. I'll go and inform sir about ur arrival.
Mukti: Cool...
Nandini got a polite smile on her face as she walked upstairs. She went to manik's room & knocked to get a simple "Hmn" reply from him. She entered to see him finding something in his cupboard. After informing him about Fab5's arrival she was about to leave when Manik got away from his cupboard & moved towards the mirror.
Manik: Wait Ms. Moorthy!! Come here & find my black Fab5 Tshirt in this cupboard. I want that now.
Nandini simply nodded at him and obeyed. Within two minutes she got what he was looking for & gave it to him. Manik changed his Tshirt in a minute and thwy moved down together, nandini following him at a distance. The produces had arrived so the meeting started. It went on for about half an hour while Nandini stood at the far most corner listening everything pateintly.
Producer: So I think we can have the press conference on Saturday.
All the others nodded and looked at Manik for the final answer who thought a bit and then said,
Manik: Yes I think saturday will be good.
Nandini heard him and immediately moved closer to Manik,
Nandini: Excuse me Sir!!
Manik turned towards her as she bent low & whispered something to him.
Manik heard her simply and then nodded slightly as she moved back.
Manik: I m afraid saturday won't be possible.
Producer: What about Sunday?
Manik: Ohh Sunday is fine.
Mukti: Great!!
Soon the producers left and Fab5 started chilling having some snacks and drinks. Nandini sat in her office for 5-10 minutes and then decided to freshen up a bit before calling MAnik's grandmother for dinner. She got up and started moving out of the mansion when she heard his voice.
Manik: Ms. moorthy...
Nandini turned around towards him & he said,
Manik: 45 minutes.
Nandini: Yes sir!!
With this Nandini moved out of the mansion towards the outhouse which was actually her house from the past two years.
She freshened up a bit before getting back for dinner. Arranging the dinner for him & his dadi was something which she loved always. He wanted it special & it symbolised his nice side. The side which could confuse anyone about his actual self.
As they had dinner, Nandini sat at the farmost corner hving her own dinner & enjoying seeing them as a lovely family. Soon she went back to the outhouse, finally calling it the end of her day.
It was about 11pm when Manik said,
Manik: Dadi... I think u should rest now!! Its quite late.
Dadi: U too hv had a long day. Go on take rest, I'll too get back to my room.
Saying so she got up and walked back to her room after which Manik too went upstairs. He tried to sleep a lot that night but couldn't. It was not the first time that he couldn't sleep. He was a usual late night person, it was just that this time he didn't wish to work as well. He got up from the bed & moved to his balcony. He stood there for sometime gazing up at the stars. It was a quite and cold night and he was enjoying himself alone in his own bubble like always. After sometime he moved down stairs to fet some water for himself. He reached the dinning table and filled up a glass for himself when he heard someone laughing. He turned and saw light coming out of the last room in the otherwise dark hall.
Manik: Who's voice is this from Dadi's room.
He drank water & then walked slowly towards the last room. As the conversation inside got clear.
Dadi: Ohh!! Thank u so such dear. Its so relieving when u do this.
Manik walked closer & looked inside through the slightly open door.
Nandini: Dadi... Aapke liye hi toh karti hoon me ye!!
Manik heard her totally shocked to see his dadi lying on her bed while Nandini sitting by her side pressing her legs.
Dadi: If ur monster gets to know na that u sneak into my room daily,that too after he sleeps then u will get into great trouble.
Nandini: Yes... Thats true no doubt I m going to be in trouble.
Manik's face was first shocked and then turned into a grim line understanding that she was refering to him as 'Monster'.
Dadi: Its you my child..... U r going up to his deviating moods otherwise if someone else would hv been at ur place she would hv left long back.
Nandini: Arey how can someone else be here... Then how will I get to spend this time with u.
Dadi laughed at it and then nandini said slowly,
Nandini: No matter what kind of a monster he is to me or the rest of the world. But his love and care towards you tells the actual person that he is.
Manik heard her words and his lips twitched up in a small smile.
Dadi: Looking at him like this always makes me think about his future. How will he ever be able to interact with anyone with this nature of him.
Nandini heard her & took her in a hug,
Nandini: Arey Dadi.. Tension mat lijiye!! Koi ladki toh hogi unke jese hi.... Jo ya toh uss monster ki partner in crime ban jaye ya toh aapke monster ko line par le aaye. Koi toh hogi jo iss monster ke andar ke insaan ko dekh kar usse pyaar kar le.
Dadi: Dekhte h kahan se milegi ye KOI LADKI....
Nandini: Ab ye toh mujhe ni pata.. Par jitna me aapke monster ko jaanti hoon aapko intezaar karna padega Dadi. Pateince!!
Dadi smiled at her & caressed her cheek.
Dadi: Woh hi toh intezaar he na...
Nandini: Kya dadi... Itni bhi kya besabri!! Me bhi yahin hoon aur aap bhi.... Dekhna toh ye h ki aapka ye monster beta kab aage badta h!! For now... U lie down and let me press ur legs. Then I hv to go also na, otherwise tmrw mrng again that monster will scold me for getting late.
With this Nandini again got back to her job while his grandmother rested. Manik moved away from the room and slowly walked up back to his room. He couldn't believe that Nandini visited his Dadi daily & he never even got to know about it.
Manik's Pov:
"Dadi seemed to be found of her. It seems she has been doing it for a long time. How come I never noticed it? She too seems genuinely caring towards Dadi. The way they were talking, they surely do share a very close relationship. This girl...I think this was the first time ever I saw her out of her "Yes Sir, No Sir" attitude. So normal, so free. Looking like an average young girl in her cute nighty, so different from her usual work attitude & getup."
He lied down again on his bed & switched off the bed side lamp.
"Monster!!" he whispered with his famous smirk.
Manik: Nandini... What is this girl actually??
Thinking so he drifted back to sleep and this time finally got a peaceful one.