CHAPTER 9

I want u to be there.... For a little more than always!!

Part 9
Manik was out for the meeting, leaving Nandini to rest. Nandini freshened up as he left and was back on her bed again, when she remembered Manik shouting at her that morning for being careless with her health. In any usual case that would make her angry and hate him but this time, just remembering it bought a smile on her face.
This time Manik hadn't scolded her for her work or any other thing, this time he scolded her for being careless about herself. Somewhere deep down it showed that he cared, no matter what he showed, he did care. "He just scolded u coz u caused him trouble of taking care of u!!" shouted her subconscious but Nandini ignored her. She didn't know what was the truth, but thinking about him caring made her feel good. She had been alone for a really long time of her life and believing this, made her feel cherished. She hugged her pillow in glee as she remembered the effort Manik was taking to not be angry at her. He wants to be her friend, but was that actually possible. She knew that Manik made no friends apart from Fab5. She had never seen him with any other friend. Was it actually possible that Manik wished to be her friend?? Or was he just saying that out of sympathy for her. Her mind kept on put up bars on sympathy but her heart worked on a different track. She knew that the person who she saw in Manik was genuine. He was caring, he was kind that was the person who she saw in his heart. No matter what he showed on the outer, the real self though concealed from the entire world, was not hidden from her. She knew him well enough and in the past two years a different kind of a feeling was developed within her for him. She had started to reciprocate the same feelings that she felt from him. When she saw a caring person, she wished to care for him back. When she saw a kind heart, she wanted to be kind. When he was a bossy monster, she was entire working in the same way. Yes, she did care for him, she did respect him but was it enough. Did she actually want him as a frnd? Friendship needed trust and she knew she could trust Manik to any extent. Could he try to trust her? She needed to be sure of that.
She knew manik cared for her, and this time it was not her heart but also her mind saying so, she was fully conscious when he took her to the hospital. She had heard his voice as she slipped down the stairs. He had picked her up in his arms totally securing her like a cocoon. She remembered seeing his anxiety as he took her to the car and got into the back seat, laying her head on his lap. He eyes told his mental state as he tried to stop her blood by pressing his coat on her head. Yes, he cared for her, he cared for her way more than she could ever think.
His eyes showed his care, the silent tears in his eyes showed his care. She had been in her total senses, monitoring the rarest sight of Manik Malhotra. But she knew that she was safe, with him, in his arms and he would be there for her as she drifted into her pain and soon into unconsciousness.
Later that afternoon Manik returned from his meeting, he reached the stairs to go to his room but his eyes were fixed at the guest room for where Nandini was staying. His heart told him to walk straight to her room and ask her if she was doing good, but his mind stopped him. Defeated by his mind he walked straight up to his bed room. He knew soon it will be time for lunch and that time he would get some or the other way to meet her. He freshened up soon and got back to his work. There was a lot to be done, but now that Nandini hadn't organised the work it seemed even more. Just looking at that list as a whole made him angry. He knew Nandini planned it well and on time, but that's what he was bad at. He always had a problem wit h timing, one of the reason why he was so sure of her work, her timing sense.
It was about 2 pm when his phone rang, he picked it up and the servant said,
Servant: Sir.... Madam ji has asked me to call u for lunch.
Manik: Sure... I'll be there!!
He knew his dadi wished to hv lunch with him whenever he was at home and he couldn't just say no as he was dying to see if Nandini was doing fine or not.
Manik got up and moved down the stairs to see his Dadi talking to the cook,
Dadi: Simi... U should hv asked her na!!
Simi: Mam i did... But she said whatever is in the menu. I didn't know what to make.
Dadi: Ohk... I'll ask her later what she likes. Today the dinner will be of Nandini's choice.
Simi: As u say Ma'am... I'll prepare-
They were interrupted by the watchman who entered the front door,
Watchman: Excuse me sir...
Dadi turned to look at Manik who reached downstairs amd joined Dadi.
Manik: Yes...
Watchman: Sir there is a delivery man here... He has got a delivery on the name of Nandini Madam... Should I allow him inside??
Manik: Ms. Moorthy's delivery!!!
Dadi: I think we should ask her if she ordered anything.
Manik: Sure...
Manik turned around as Dadi started walking towards Nandini's room. He joined her in and knocked the door.
Nandini: Yes...
Dadi opened up the door and Nandini said,
Nandini: Dadi... U know u don't need to knock before getting in.
Dadi: Kaisi h meri Nandu??
Nandini: Much better... Aaiye na Dadi...
Dadi entered the room and Manik followed her inside.
Nandini: Good afternoon sir...
Manik: Ms. Moorthy...
Nandini: Sir... The meeting??
Manik: Ohh yes... We again cracked the deal..
Congratulations.. By the way did u order urself something?? There is a delivery on ur name waiting outside.
Nandini: Oh is it already here... I did order it an hour ago.
Manik: Ohk... I'll ask someone to take it for u.
Nandini: Actually... They might be needing my signatures sir!! If u don't mind can it plz get over here.
Manik looked at her confused and then simply nodded and shouted to call in a servant. 5 mins later the delivery man walked in sliding a polythene packed wheel chair.
Manik: A wheel chair???
Dadi: Nandu...
Nandini: Dadi.. Abhi toh ek din bhi nhi hua h... And i m bored on this bed. How will I be here for 10 days??
Dadi: But-
Nandini: Dadi i promise I'll rest enough. And I won't get out of the house.
Manik: It's ohk dadi... If she feels like having it let her be. The delivery man came further in and took the wheel chair next to Nandini's bed. He removed the covering from it and then took out a few delivery papers and said,
" Ma'am, I would just need ur signatures over here..."
Nandini took it from him and signed there. As she did so she bent towards her side table and took up an envelope and forwarded it towards him,
Nandini: Here ur payment!!
But before he could take it Manik said,
Manik: No... U come out with me!! Ms. Moorthy keep that with u.
Nandini: But sir... This isn't in anyway something that u should take up for me. This is one of my personal needs.
Manik: Ms. Moorthy u rn't arguing with me on this.
Dadi: Nandu... Its ohk na..
Nandini: Dadi... U know i m right at this.. Plz!!
Manik: Ms. Moorthy.... Seriously ur reason is out of my understanding.
Nandini: Maybe a boss wouldn't understand it but.... But my friend would hv.
Manik heard her and was shocked for a minute after which he smiled and said,
Manik: Ms. Moorthy.... So coy!! Using ur new card so efficiently. Ohk then.... this time I'll let u get it but u won't be having it for long. I will get a loop hole in this trick of urs for sure...
Nandini simply smiled at him and gave the money to the delivery man.
Nandini: Thank u...
With this he got out of the room when Dadi said,
Dadi: Chalo... Now that we hv this. At least u can have lunch with us.
Nandini: Dadi lunch.... I'll hv it here na...
Manik: Oh no u won't.... Now that we are frriiiendzzz!! Frndz do hv lunches and dinners together. Right??
Nandini smiled again and then slowly said,
Nandini: Ohk fine...
Dadi caressed her forehead lovingly and again Nandini fought a lone tear in her eye. She was not used to accepting so much affection. Her tear refused to get back and flowed down her eyes. As it caught Manik's gaze, dadi said,
Dadi: Ayee... nandu?? What...
Nandini shaked her head and immediately hugged her as she broke into her tears. It was the first time ever that Manik had seen her cry but somehow he didn't like that seen. She had always been so normal, so confident around him. Nandini hugged Dadi hard and cried out her heart.
Dadi caressed her forehead again and said,
Dadi: Mujhe toh laga tha meri Nandu bahut strong h.. Toh ab ese ro kyu rhi h??
Nandini smiled at her and wiped off her tears from the back of her palm.
Nandini: Aap na mujhe bigaad rhe ho Dadi... I m not used to all this love and care, if it continues like this na, then i'll never be able to leave this place ever.
Manik: And no one here wants u to leave.
Both Nandini and Dadi turned to face him as Manik said his deepest thoughts out loud.
Manik: Now Ms. moorthy... If u are done! Can we move out for lunch.
Dadi: Yes yes come...
Dadi stood up as Nandini shifted to a side willing to slide herself down the bed straight onto the wheel chair, she shifted a bit forward when Manik suddenly came ahead and said,
Manik: Oh Come On!!!
He picked Nandini up in his arms and made her sit on the chair comfortably.
Nandini: Umnn... Thank u..... Sir!!
Nandini stole a glance at Dadi from the side of her eyes and she realised that this new side of Manik was as shocking for Dadi as it had been for her at the first place. But that was the real thing, Dadi did have a smile on her face, she liked this Manik. Manik pushed her out to the table as they all sat to hv lunch.