The Score: Chapter One

FINALLY! Well, I know it's been a while. My USB got corrupted and my laptop crashed so...you know what happens. But thankfully, my laptop's back! But not my files. So, I'm re-writing everything. Apologies.

Here's Part Two: THE SCORE.

ENJOY!

**********************************

Chapter One:

Eighty-four to eighty-two. In favor of the other team. Twelve seconds remaining. The opponent has the ball. He aims for a shot. He failed. I got the rebound. The clock keeps on ticking.

The voice of the crowd cheering and shouting seemed to be distant to my ear. My heartbeat accelerated as I ran towards our court. We can’t afford to lose. Or at least not now. Not that we’re one step away from being the Champion.

Five seconds remaining. I made it through the first guy who tried to block me. Four seconds. The crowd kept on cheering. Three seconds. I stopped at the three-point line. Two seconds. Oh no, time’s running out. One. I threw the ball.

Then the buzzer sounded.

The crowd went wild after the time’s up. I didn’t care. Or, better yet, I tend not to bother. I know for sure that it was the opponent’s supporters. Sigh. I guess I didn’t make it.

I sat down the floor, trying to catch my breath. My head was bowed down in frustration. Who wants to see his opponent rejoicing in their victory?

A tap on my back brought me back to my senses.

“Nice job, Pat!” said one of my teammates.

Then the rest followed. “That was a suspense!”

“I knew you can make it, pal!”

Wait – I thought to myself – don’t tell me…

“And that was it!” declared the announcer. “2007 UAAP Basketball Champion – give it up for – the Ateneo Blue Eagles!”

The crowd went wild at the sound of our team’s name!

We won? I asked myself. My eyes widened as I slowly realize what just happened. I did it! My three-point shot made us win!

My teammates and I were jumping in joy while the crowd cheered for us. The announcer took the microphone and started the awarding.

He started from the fourth place, then the third, then second place – De La Salle University – our biggest competitor throughout the history of UAAP. And then us – the champion.

“And now, for our Most Valuable Player…” the announcer continued, “As expected.” He said with a slight smile. “This year’s MVP – and still the MVP – Ateneo Blue Eagle’s Star Player, Patrick De Leon!”

Our supporters, most especially the girls, gave a standing ovation as I receive my award. Yes, I am Patrick De Leon. And for three consecutive years, I am the MVP.

**********

The team went directly to the locker room after the game and awarding ended. While the boys were busy refreshing up in the shower, I remained standing by the door as girls swarmed up. Being MVP, I was pretty popular with the girls.

They were asking for my photograph, my autograph, and some asked for my number. I gladly gave it though. I mean, how can I say no to girls? But there were only a few times when it was me who asked for their numbers – and that is, from the girls of my type.