Between Love and Friendship: Chapter Three

SEMBREAK IS FINALLY ON! Woo! But I still have a lot of things to do for the concert. :/

Enjoy reading people!

************

Chapter Three:

I’ve been thinking about everything that had happened yesterday. And to be honest, it kept me up all night.

And the best possible way to keep me distracted from everything is work. I am managing my own photography studio. My studio was located inside a mall in Makati. And I am on my way there.

But little did I know that the very thing I wanted to be distracted from is at the parking space where I usually park.

She was trying to put something inside the compartment of her car. I was hesitant at first, but I still went on and approached her.

“Hey.” I said.

She was taken by surprise. “Oh hey! It’s a surprise to see you here.”

“I’ve got a studio here.”

“Oh.” She smiled. “That’s good news. Maybe I’ll drop by some time.”

“Maybe you should.” I forced a smile.

She smiled back at me. “Very well then, I guess I’ll see you later?”

“Yes. Later.”

She was about to get inside the car when I absent-mindedly grabbed her hand. “Wait.” She turned and looked at me with a puzzled reaction. “You do remember, right?”

“What are you talking about?”

“That time, when we were on the same class. And worked together for a photo exhibit. You were my model, then.”

“I do remember that.”

I am not aware that I’m taking steps closer to her. “People say that we were good together. And we really are.”

This time, I have no idea that I am pulling her closer to me. “You’re scaring me, Emil. What are you really trying to say?”

“That night, when you kissed me – I thought – I thought we have…something.”

I was moving my face closer to hers and I don’t know why. It feels like my body’s moving on its own.

“Emil, please.” She said in a weak voice. “Just let me go.”

“And lose you forever?” I answered. Man, I must be possessed. “No.”

In a split second, I felt a hard fist land my face. “Leave her alone!” And I found myself on the ground. It was Brian. And he was angry as a bull. “Don’t ever show your face to me again!”

Oh man.

What have I done?

**********

At home

Maxene smiling. Maxene laughing. Serious Maxene. Sleepy Maxene. Wacky Maxene. And the list is endless. I didn’t know that I’ve kept a lot of her pictures in my laptop. Yes, she’s been my model. But most of her photos here – candid.

The door opened.

“What are you still doing there, honey?” It’s my mom. “Get dressed now. We’re going to be late.”

Without looking at her, I answered. “I’m not going, mom. Just go ahead without me.”

“But sweetie, it’s your best friend’s pre-nuptial celebration tonight.” She reminded. I know, mom. I know. “And you’re not going to miss it.”

He doesn’t even want to see me again. “I’m not in the mood, mom. Just go with dad.”

“Is everything alright here?” said another voice. It was my dad’s.

“He doesn’t want to go. Talk to him.” Said my mom and she walked out.

My dad walked towards me. “Is there something wrong, son?”

“No, dad.” I answered. Obviously lying, though. “I’m just not in the mood to leave.”

“If that’s what you say.” He answered. “But you can still come if you change your mind.”

I simply nodded. And he’s gone.

I kept on browsing my laptop for pictures when I stumbled upon a compilation of pictures that stopped me off. They were pictures of me and Brian when we were still kids and while we were growing up. I can’t help but smile. It brought back the memories of us when we were still idiotic creatures that know nothing but to goof around.

I sighed. This is my best friend.

Without any doubt, I stood up and ran to my car.

**********

Cars are constantly entering Brian’s house. And they were there – Maxene and Brian – welcoming guests as they enter the home. I watched them from the outside, inside my car, and I can see how happy Brian is.

He took her hand, planted a gentle kiss on the back of her palm and she smiled. The way they looked at each other obviously shows how much they are in love.

I was lost in thought when my phone rang. I picked it up and the voice of my assistant photographer spoke to me.

“Hello Mr. Mendoza?”

“Yes. Speaking.”

“May I call in for a two-week leave? Is that okay?”

“What for?”

“We’ll be having a family reunion at Hong Kong, sir.”

“I guess it can’t be helped. Go ahead and enjoy.”

“Thank you.”

Call ended.

 I dialed my other assistant’s number and called him.

“Hello?”

“Jimmy?”

“Yes, sir?”

“Charlie called in for a leave in two weeks. You think you can take his place for the wedding cover?”

There was a brief silence. “I’m sorry, sir, but I’m afraid I can’t. I’ll be off to a Photo Expo that day.”

“Oh, okay.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No worries. Bye.”

Call ended.

My fingers are tapping against the steering wheel. I need someone to take Charlie’s place at the wedding. Oh! I know!

I made another call. And this time, I’m calling my cousin.

“Hello?”

“Hey, Migs.”

“Oh, Emil.” He seemed surprised. “What’s the matter?”

 “My assistant photographers just called in for leave for the next two weeks and I have a wedding to cover. You think you can give me a hand on it?”

I heard him snort.  “Sure. When will that be?”

“Let’s meet tomorrow at my studio and I’ll discuss the matter with you. Will that be okay?”

 “Yeah, sure.”

“Good. See you tomorrow, then. Bye.”

Call ended.

Right after I ended the call, I saw Brian glance over m direction. I felt panicked and started driving away.

****************************

Please Vote, Comment and Fan! Lezz keep The Wedding Day rank up!

Lots of Love,

Purple-ish xx