Chapter 51 - Alarm

I wake with a start, trying to get my bearings. It takes my brain a second to regain my hearing and sight. I look around and see that I am in my room in Hell. I relax, only to stiffen when I hear an alarm ringing, and shouting coming from guards. This can't be good, this alarm is rarely used, and when it is, it means that there is an unwanted being in the house, whether it is a soul or demon. We have drills, but a different alarm is used so when it happens there is not so much panic. The door flies open, and I pull the thin sheet up my body. A guard stands there, his eyes going around the room looking for intruders. This standard procedure.

"Are you alright?" he asks. I nod.

"What's going on?"

"We've had a breach, not sure yet."

"Is my dad OK?" I ask getting out of my bed now, pulling down the hem of the night dress which rode up.

"Yes," he confirms with a nod. "He's downstairs."

"OK, thank you," I say as I walk towards the door. He nods again and moves out of the way to go back to his job. I close the door after me as I pad down the dark hallway, my bare feet sinking into the plush carpet. I get to the top of the stairs, looking down at the entrance to see my dad standing with a couple of guards. I yawn as I make my way down the stairs. My dad is wearing a vest, and a pair of pants, his black hair a mess from when he was asleep. His blue eyes meet mine when he hears the yawn.

"Scar, what are you doing up?" he asks. I point upwards, to indicate the alarm.

"The same reason as you."

"Go back to sleep, we can handle it," he tells me waving me back up the stairs. I roll my eyes and cross my arms.

"I won't be able to get back to sleep with the alarm blaring, and you know you can't turn it off until you've secured the house," I tell him, making my way down onto the tiled floor of the entrance hall. He groans but points at my face.

"You are not to interfere, understand?" he commands. I smile at him sweetly.

"I would never do such a thing," I tell him, my hands behind my back as I rock up on my feet.

"Hm," he grunts as he goes back to talking to the guards. I listen to the house, trying to find anything which is out of place, but quickly stop when all I hear is guards walking the halls trying to find anything out of place. Usually, after about an hour and the whole place is searched and verified to have the people it should, the alarm is switched off. If nothing is found, usually nothing bad comes from it. Every guard will be checked against the list of who is meant to be working, as well as the souls. The numbers should always be the same.

I narrow my eyes as I smell the air, something is off. I move away from the group of men talking and then back towards them, walking past.

"How did they get in?" I ask, earning a glare from my dad.

"I thought you wouldn't interfere," he points out.

"I'm not. It's a valid question." He pinches the bridge of his nose muttering under his breath that he gives up before he brings it back down. I smirk, amused at how annoying he's finding me.

"We don't know," he admits.

"Can you smell it?" I ask.

"Can I smell what?"

"There's an unusual strong scent and it seems to be stronger is you go closer to the door. There's no other traces of it further into the house. Maybe whatever we're looking for is new, and came through the front door," I tell the group. Immediately all the guards, and my dad with his back to the door, mimic what I did. They sniff the air, moving back and forth, wrinkling the noise.

"Yes, you're right," my dad says, but doesn't look surprised, "that would be the silent fart that I just let off," he admits. My mouth falls open, as my eyes widen. I let out a cackle of laughter, and this leads me to clutching my sides, gasping for air as tears stream down my face. I'm surprised that it wasn't set alight. Through my own laughter I hear the laughter from the guards. I exhale shakily as I try to get under control again.

"OK, that's enough," my dad says sternly, but his eyes hold amusement. All the guards immediately stop as they don't want to anger him, but I don't care as I continue to laugh. I can't believe I thought that some sort of monster had come into the house, when only it was my dad's fart which stank. My dad shakes his head as he moves around me to a guard walking towards us.

"It seems like it's another false alarm," the guard tells my dad. How many false alarms have they had?

"Everyone," he calls loudly, "we have reason to believe it's another false alarm, please go back to what you were doing." I move past my dad, still letting out a few chuckles.

"Night fart-monster," I call back down the stairs as I climb them. I hear him chuckle.

"Night fart-sniffer," he calls back. I snort as I turn the corner at the top of the stairs and make my way back to my room.

I open the door, and slip back into the dark room. My eyes have just adjusted to the dark when the alarm goes off. I step further into the room and let out a scream when I see a dark figure sitting on my bed.

Here you go my little devils! I hope you liked it (I couldn't stop laughing when I wrote this part! ;))

What did you think?

What will happen next?

Thanks for reading, voting, commenting, sharing, and following!

CC ;)