6. A Jasmin's Call

Vincenzo was walking around the warehouse that belonged to his grandfather. He was inspecting the packages that had just come from the sea via a huge carrier ship. He was looking around the warehouse while waiting around for his grandfather to finish his meeting with his business partner in a meeting room in one of the secret passages of the warehouse.

Vincenzo was aware that his father was going to be quite cross if he caught him with his grandfather but he still met up with him when he was asked even though he didn't have to. When Vincenzo looked back at his actions he had no regrets. None at all. When he was a child, he had no choice in the matter when his grandfather met up with him. Right now he did have a choice but he didn't take the escape route.

Vincezno was fascinated by his grandfather who his father hated more than anyone and there were many reasons to remain in contact with him. Vincenzo felt a void in his life with lack of his grandfather and he had to fill it because he had the chance to do so. He wanted to learn from him and also to see his cards in the open. But life was never perfect.

There was a family feud but Vincenzo was curious about his grandfather and wanted to learn from him. That was what he lived for. He wanted to learn. Being educated about every aspect of life was the secret to survival. He didn't agree with his grandfather that much but he respected his intelligence. His grandfather was a deadly phantom of the criminal underworld of Italy. Under the mask of retirement and leaving all to his sons, his grandfather had been keeping himself busy in Sicily. He had been active making links and expanding the Rosario empire in Italy. So Vincenzo felt the need to get close to this man to read his plans and see his cards in the open. What if they involved his siblings or parents? He had to know if his grandfather who was so complicated to read had any plans for his family. Nothing surprised him at that point.

Vincenzo smiled as he saw big boxes of jasmin plants in the corner on a long counter and walked towards them. He leaned close and smelled the flowers closing his eyes. The jasmin's call was hard to resist. The Jasmin reminded him of his Terza. These plants were her favourite part of Italy. She didnt stop talking about how the scent of the Jasmine's filled the streets in Italy. What his Terza loved, he loved too. He stood up and asked "Who do these flowers belong to?"

One of the men standing around bowed politely and replied "Sir, these flowers were used as a distraction. They were placed on the packagaes to deter inspectors who we bribed. If they saw it all looked well, they did pass by without arguements. We are disposing of the flowers."

Vincenzo sighed. These people didn't know the value of Jasmin flowers. They lived in Italy where the streets were packed with heavenly scent of them. Why did they care for a few disposed of. He stated "I want them sent to the Rosario floral shop in Manhattan, today. They must be reserved for me."

The man bowed politely "Yes sir."

Vincenzo leaned over and inhaled the scent one last time and walked away to inspect other packages. He was intersted in knowing what his grandfather was dealing in secret. But he didnt expect the man to have Jasmins. Vincenzo recalled years back his memories of Terza in Italy. She had been walking around the woods around one of the summer Agostini mansions near Milan in a small town of Lecco with other girls picking cherries. Vincenzo recalled watching his Terza with jasmines in her hair. She was breath taking with jasmines in her golden hair and a jasmine necklace she had made around her neck matching her white dress.

The boys were playing games blocking paths of the girls asking for password or payment of the cherries. When she had approached him, the scent of jasmines were what he recalled best. Terza was happy to be given the choice of keeping the flowers or the cherries. But of course, Vincenzo had stopped her as she was handing over the cherries to keep the jasmins. Vincenzo had stated "Answer a question instead..."