65. Talking Points

Vincenzo was in his room on the phone with Vitale. He was getting frustrated with his phone calls. He nearly broke the phone as he was tempted to crush it to pieces "You do as I tell you Vitale. You will wait..."

Vitale pleaded "Vincenzo. We need you... Please don't compromise this family for the sins of your grandfather..."

Vincenzo said "It's not my decision. It never was. I was wrong to try to make it my own. It's ... my father's call. I just didn't see it until I had some time to think..."

Vitale said in a sad tone "I am so sorry..."

Vincenzo said "You are not sorry about this situation. You will be sorry if I condemn your father..."

Vitale protested "He was always on your father's side. He is the only one your father even acknowledges..."

Vincenzo said "Then you have nothing to worry about then when I come. Will you?"

Vitale asked "So ... you are coming back? When?"

Vincenzo spoke in a tone like he had explained this one hundred times "For the last time... you will know when or if I return. If my father returns it gives me blessing to continue ... I made a mistake... I need to atone for what I have done..."

Vitale said "What made you change your stance? You were determined to do as you planned ... You wanted to act alone... That was even simpler... At least I knew you are only facing off with uncle Paulo... But now ... you are withdrawing ... what made you change? Was it really ... you know... your lady who changed your mind?"

Vincenzo didn't mind Vitale's intrusiveness. He was very close to Vitale. He couldn't even explain why he was softer on his oldest cousin... Maybe it was the fact that Vitale had shown honour towards the woman he loved at such young age willing to risk anything... Women were worth dying for... He declared "She did make me see it faster and put all facts in perspective. But no. It wasn't just Terza... My father's eyes ... he .. haunts me ... Vitale. The way they looked at me when I was interfering... I can't get them out of my head... I wanted to help my father but he didn't want me to interfere... As much as I felt O'Neil was right, I felt my father wasn't ready to do what I wanted him to do... I trust my father... He knows best..."

Vitale said "I don't doubt it... I trust my father too... Vincenzo... Thank you for taking my call... I am waiting for you... You need to give blessings for certain decisions... You know what they are..."

Vincenzo said "I do. When my father returns ... I will return..." He then said goodbye and put the phone down.

He then went for a cold shower. He loved the icy water. In the eyes of some others, use of cold water was torture. It didnt phase him at all. In fact when cold water hit his skin, he went into deep thoughts not even realising the passing of the time. He came out of the shower and placed the towel around his waste. As he came out of the bathroom he froze as he saw who was sitting on his bed. "Jesus Christ Terza..."

Terza gave him a half smile as she saw him make a sign of cross and saying words in latin.

Terza said "Viggo let me in... He had the code you gave him... Dont worry. I didnt get electrocuted upon entrance if thats whats making you pray in latin..."

Vincenzo turned   " He should not have let you in..."

Terza said " I thought you said you want to make it upto me that you have alienated me..."

Vincenzo shook his head. He put his hands on hips making Terza wonder if he ever did get softer. Even with nothing but a towel around his waist, he looked authoritative. He inhaled looking at her straight "Dont do this again... I mean it."