19. His Oath

Vincenzo was sitting with Terza having lunch alone in a quiet corner of the dining hall. He didn't want to be disturbed with his Terza and he was glad people kept this distance at this time of day. This was his personal time and not time for business. He knew his work was only beginning. He had a long hard road in front of him. He was loyal to his father and gaining his approval was all he wanted. He knew his father was not happy about what had happened but since when did anyone got in life what made them happy? There were many actions that he wanted to take to make himself happy but he knew he never could. He was who he was. He couldn't deny his blood. If he had the choice he would have refused the call of the Don. He would have but he knew there were going to be consequences. He was not going to choose the easy option of surrender. He had to fight for what he held dear. That was his family. If he did not answer the call of the Don his family could be in danger.

Vincenzo recalled his last meeting with grandpa and how he had reminded him of his duties. His grandpa had him sat down as he was standing towering over him "Vincenzo. You recall all I said to you about the O'Kane family I take it. You do know that what an O'Kane wants is what an O'Kane gets. Right Vincenzo?"

Vincenzo had stared at his grandpa "Of course."

His grandpa had taken a serious expression on his face "Jackson has declared Tristan O'Neil as his successor after watching over him from far for so many years. I thought he might choose the little brother, Trent because I didnt think Jackson was going to choose the boy who was Gabriel Giovanni's faourite. The boy is too close to his Italian grandpa or so it seems. But again it is Gabriel who is the one loyal to Tristan having faith in him. Tristan may not return the affections. If Jackson has chosen him it means he sees him to be more Irish than Italian. Now, Tristan's time has come. He must take the Irish vow after he passes a few tests just like the next Don needs to be trained after my father."

Vincenzo had felt cold. He had never felt so cold before "What? He never said anything to me. He is playing with my sister's life." He had then stood up ready to go after Tristan. As he had stood up, his grandpa had pushed him to sit back at the chair and he let him. There must have been more to this.

Grandpa had warned "Easy Vincenzo. Your sister is safe. It is just a warning to you. Tristan is no longer just an O'Neil. He is much more. He will have to answer the calling by Jackson. You may think Jackson is going to be a threat to Vienna but trust me. He wont be..."

Vincenzo argued "He is capable. I won't be taking chances with my sister's life. Tristan failed to mention that Jackson O'Kane had declared him as his heir...."

His grandpa had smiled "Disclosing this wouldn't have made a difference. He needs to take an Irish vow. Just like how my father's successor will need to take an oath officially. O'Kane and the Don will declare heirs while alive and all is done this way so they can take part in training of their successors rather than waiting until their deaths to come first.  This is a wise move. With Jackson it was hard to predict what he was thinking. The O'Neil's were his first choice but there were other guesses. Some were guessing that his niece was going to marry at some point and then her husband whoever he maybe would take over. But of course they want a male with O'Kane blood to rule and not some stranger. They need to set a leader now to be trained on the job. They can't wait for a generation to come. I know this because Jackson informed those who must be informed including my father. The announcement about Tristan is closer than you think. Jackson will be setting a date for heads of families to attend a ceremony for Tristan to be introduced as his successor. Then soon he will take the Irish vow and then his initiation will take place for taking over the family he has inherited. We both know what this means. Tristan will be living by the Irish rules and exercising them with an Iron fist. The Irish are not like us. He would be powerful too. He would be a dangerous rival to you especially after Jackson O'Kane personally mentors him. Tristan will be benefiting from the loyalty of O'Quinns and O'Keefes sealed by blood as well as having all those families that serve the O'Kanes after they lost the mob war. This is big Vincenzo... You must be ready to back up your own family against the Irish. The Don knows and will be taking precautions of his own..."