30. Christmas Eve 1979 (Part 5)

Vincenzo was riding in a heavily guarded car going towards the church where the evening Christmas service was going to be held. He was alone in the car with Vitale and a sound proof glass separated him from the two guards in the front seats of the car. Others were in separate cars. His parents, his uncle Costanzo, his uncle Antonio, his uncle Arturo and their families were all in cars lining up one after another. He was in one of the last cars,

Vitale asked "New York is unrecognisable in Christmas."

Vincenzo said "It's only like this around Christmas."

Vincenzo was enjoying looking at the lights on the streets. The streets were mainly deserted on Christmas Eve. This was a Roman Catholic part of town. Shopping was done the day before mostly and religious families had been fasting all day. They didn't fast. But did attend mass services. There were four masses for Christmas for Roman Catholics:  Mass of vigil in the evening on Christmas Eve, Mass during the midnight of Christmas Eve, Mass at dawn of Christmas Day and Mass during the day on Christmas Day. His family mostly attended one or two of the services each year. He had the readings memorised either way. Whether they attended all the services or not he cited them.

Vitale said "It is my first Christmas away from home."

Vincenzo said "It is your first Christmas when you can breathe freedom. Don't you feel free now away from your father's control? You are welcome."

Vitale sighed "Its a curse and a blessing to be working for you. It's an eye opening and necessary trip but abit lonely."

Vincenzo said "That's not what you said when I chose to bring you with me. You said it's an honour."

Vitale said "It is. But ... I miss the Sicilian Christmas. Family is everything."

Vincenzo said "Get used to this. I will be where my father is every Christmas and I doubt he will ever be in Sicily at this time of the year. You will always be with me in Christmas time."

Vitale went silent and became thoughtful. He then asked. "How do you do it Vincenzo?"

Vincenzo asked "Do what?"

Vitale said "Your life was taken away from you. You belong to many people who look up to you as a leader, decision maker and protector. You have followers but have enemies too. You have people after you wanting you dead. How do you handle the pressure and expectation when you could be a college kid like everyone else? You are wanted dead ..."

Vincenzo said "People wanted me dead ever since I was born. I will take the fight to them now before they strike. I feel liberated now. I want this Vitale. I want to be in the position of controlling my life. I think you do like this controlling power too. You now can protect your woman unlike before. Don't tell me you don't like this control you have now... I must say it is a wise move you won't let her out of your sight. You had to bring her so she doesn't shoot anyone in Sicily. I like to be entertained. Bringing her in the middle of the Irish crowed can cause a war but it's worth the show. If she slaps one of those Irish girls in church there is blood. I hope she slaps Reagan O'Reily."

Vitale said "She has learnt her lesson. I won't let her run rogue. I won't let her out of my sight."

Vincenzo said "Let's see how you will manage that."

Vitale nodded and looked outside the car window "How long do we have left in this journey? The church in Sicily is within walking distance so no one has an excuse to miss any Sunday services. How come you don't have a church near your house?"

Vincenzo said "We do but ... we are going to this church because it's symbolic to go to church with the Irish on Irish territory. That's why all this entourage is coming with us."