35. The Young Don (Part 5)

It was a silent night and Terza could only hear her own footsteps and his on the stone covered route that lead to the church from the car. They were surrounded by armed guards dressed in black but the guards didn't make any sounds. They were watching their boss and the surroundings silently. Terza never caught any of them make eye contact with her. She wondered what Vincenzo had threatened these people with. They bowed when she walked past. They looked down or away but never at her. She liked the tiara she was wearing but it was ironic how she was also treated like a queen.

Terza was walking slowly alongside Vincenzo as he was holding her hand while she was looking straight ahead at the old building.

The lights were on at the church. The door suddenly opened and the priest walked outside. The priest didn't wait for them to reach the door and walked towards them.

Vincenzo addressed the priest with a content expression. There was no hostility. "Greetings father."

The priest stopped walking as Vincenzo came to a halt and said to Vincenzo"Greetings my child" He then looked down as he turned in direction of Terza and addressed Terza "Good evening to you too my child."

Terza said "Hello..."

The priest smiled while looking down and then looked at Vincenzo "I will be in my office next door. If you require a service inform me. I will be giving you privacy as you requested." He then walked away after a polite nod and slight bow towards Vincenzo. He didn't look at her at all.

Terza was then lead towards the church again as Vincenzo explained while walking "He is our family priest. He is trusted as he is related to men who work for us. If you want him to perform a service just say so."

Terza turned to Vincenzo and sighed "It's not Sunday Vincenzo. I don't require any service. May you can start by telling me why he was not making eye contact with me? Your guards even don't look at me. They treat me in a business like way. But again they don't look at you either... What is the consequence for eye contact Vincenzo? I am not sure if I want respect by threats. I like to earn respect rather than gaining it with you threatening them..."

Vincenzo chuckled as he stopped in front of the church door. He turned to Terza "I am very impressed. So you are here to stay? That's good..."

Terza asked "What are you talking about?"

Vincenzo looked at her in an amused way "You want to stay long enough to earn respect. That's a good sign. You can make your own threats if you wish..." He then reached for the door with his hand, but Terza put her hand on the handle stopping him "What have you threatened them with if they look into my eyes?"

Vincenzo glanced at her hand and then looked at her up and down. She was leaning closer to him now. He smiled "Terza. I am tempted to kiss you here and it would rather look unorthodox."

Terza narrowed her eyes and took a step away leaning back " Unorthodox?"

Vincenzo said  "That's right. Let's keep a safe distance on this sacred ground. Although love is sacred but I would rather not kiss you here right now. I want my first kiss with you at this sacred place to be on our wedding day. I would kiss you in any church but not here. This is a special place because this is the only place my father talks about joyfully when the word Sicily comes up. He talks of the day he said his vows and married my mother with the greatest joy I have ever seen him display. So don't tempt me to kiss you here. I don't want to kiss you here before our wedding day. This place is special to my father so its holy to me...,"

Terza was looking at him with bewilderment. She retreated her hand from the door "I am not tempting you. But ... How long have you been planning your wedding and when exactly is this wedding day. I am a girl and haven't started planning my fantasy wedding."