50. Chambers

Antonio was in so much pain. He didn't expect any less at the hands of Francesco. He was battered. Francesco had come in silently right after O'Neil's crew had come. He had beaten him to a pulp and had set off to go home while Antonio was left for the entire night to wither in pain. The chair he had been strapped to was a pile of sticks as he had been smashed against it so many times. He was laying on the floor motionless after he had endured the beating. The light in the room was bothering his eyes. He had been staring at them the whole night while in pain and hadn't had any sleep. His body was on fire. But what hurt him the most was Francesco's silence last night. He wanted his cousin to talk to him. He wanted Francesco to tell him how much he hated him for his mistakes. But Francesco hadn't said a word. He had just left him to die of guilt perhaps. Antonio knew had let his cousin down and hated himself for it. He had let his wife and child down. There was no point begging Francesco for their safety. Francesco did what he decided. Nothing influenced him in any way. The thought of his family brought tears to his eyes. The face of his wife. His son crying. He couldn't believe how he had allowed his family to be put in danger.

The door opened suddenly and he saw Costanzo enter. He tried to speak but it came out as a painful moan.

Costanzo walked to him quickly "Let's get you out of here..." He sat down next to him and lifted him from under his shoulders "Can you try to sit up."

Antonio shook his head, not able to speak.

Costanzo said "I don't know the extent of damage. I will need to get you out."

Antonio tried so hard to speak "My son..." It came out weak but it did.

Costanzo sighed "He is at my home. He is safe. He was in bed when I left him this morning to come here. Sorry I couldn't come sooner. I was not allowed to... My instructions are to get you to a doctor and take you away... I know you want to ask about your wife. I don't know where she is kept. Only Francesco knows. I think she may get banished and you won't see her for a long time. You are only alive because Francesco can't kill you... You are blood but that doesn't save you in this case when you hurt his blood. Vincenzo has an attachment to you. If Vincenzo orders your death only then you will die. Francesco will make you suffer. Have no doubt."

Antonio nodded "Kill me."

Costanzo said "Francesco knows you wish for that. You won't get your wish."

Antonio breathed "And Paulo..."

Costanzo's expression changed "Don't bring him up... Just don't. You are banished for now by the way. So get used to it... I will do what I can to help your wife. Since Vincenzo has an attachment to you, I will be surprised if he kills your wife. I think he will be satisfied with banishment for now..."

As Costanzo took Antonio out, he was faced with Francesco's men who declared they will take it from there and he needed to go. This wasn't a good sign. He wanted to know where they were taking Antonio. But it seemed like Francesco didn't want him to know. Costanzo was sure that Antonio was going to feel like he was in hell while he was separated from his wife and son. He was going to break down to pieces. He was certain.

Costanzo watched Antonio taken away as he sighed. He was getting emotional as a tear came down. He couldn't take it. He just couldn't. He hated standing where he was. This cursed place was his father's lair that he never wanted to step foot in and neither did Francesco. Their father was responsible. Only him.

Costanzo looked outside the window. He didn't think he wanted to see his father before judgement day but an opportunity had presented itself while Francesco had sent him there. His brother was on his way and he seemed to be stuck in traffic part of the roads were closed and I the shortcuts were oddly enough closed too. He sighed. His brother had warned him that loyalists to his father could be coming from Sicily to ambush the place but they were ready. They could try attacking.