11. Teenage Perceptions

After the phone call from the O'Neils the table fell silent. No one dared say anything. O'Neil got away with joking about their families being related but neither the kids or Adele ever dared mention it. That was only O'Neil who risked Francesco's wrath. After Francesco soundly put back the telephone, he had sat down and silently having his breakfast.

Finally Adele cleared her throat "Francesco. Should the kids pack up their suit cases now or later? They have finished breakfast. The O'Neils would be coming shortly but until then should they be packing?"

Francesco looked up and his expression softened "Of course sweetheart. They can pack up now so they can have their suit cases ready at the lobby. When the O'Neils arrive we will have some coffee and pastry. Afterwards we must make our way to Sterling's home for the next two nights. I know you like to stop by on the way to Harlem to visit one of the boutiques like you always do."

Adele nodded "That would be great." She was relived Francesco didn't seem angry anymore. O'Neil bringing up the fact that they were almost related always didnt sit well with Francesco. Adele didnt blame her husband. It didnt sit well with her either but not for the same reasons as Francesco had. Francesco was quite traditional. To him, his daughter was a Rosario until she said her vows in a church that could be after her college or even a decade away. He just didnt like to hear jokes about his family. But in his heart Francesco missed his daughter already even though she hadn't become an O'Neil. She felt that Tristan was taking her away even when they were innocently dating. He didnt want his children to grow up because he didnt have enough time to spend with them. He was working for long hours and hardly saw them.

It was different for Adele. To her, Tristan was just not the one to ask for her daughter's hand. She had accepeted it but the longer she was in touch with Tristan and witnesses his transformation into who he was meant to become the less she warmed up to the idea. She just wanted her daughter as far away from him as possible. She admired Tristan. He was honourable. He was perfect. She was incapable of finding fault in him but still she just couldn't see her daughter with him because she felt intimidated by Tristan. Not that it mattered. Her daughter loved Tristan. Adele didnt see anything wring with Tristan but her maternal instinct told her to keep Vienna away. He was dangerous. When Tristan came near her, she felt nothing but fear. He radiated authority and danger. He was a threat to her family if he became an enemy one day in future after Francesco retired. He was only seventeen and that was the scary part. Even at such young age, he did intimidate her when he didnt even have any authority over her. Ironically she was now grasping the bitter truth that her only saviour could be Vincenzo. He was Tristan's match. When Vincenzo was near, she felt safe even if Tristan was in the room. She felt awful but now she could see why Francesco had mentored Vincenzo at such intense rate. The thought made her feel like tears coming to the surface but it was the sad truth. She must not have relied on her son. She wished her son was away from this life but part of her was also thankful that Vincenzo had enough authority and power to match Tristan.

Vincenzo, Viggo and Vienna left the kitchen as their father instructed them to leave. The siblings didn't stop to talk. There was no time to talk about what was happening. When their father gave them an instruction they couldn't ignore it.

Vincenzo went to his room and started packing his bag. He didn't think he needed anything at all for two nights.  Of course out of politeness for the host, Sterling Johnson, their ally in Harlem, he had to pack a bag. He didn't think he needed pyjamas or even a second pair of trousers. He wasn't going to sleep in any bed since meetings went on for all night. He was going to sleep a few hours roughly on a chair here and there for sure. He wasn't going to miss any part of the meetings for the world. He knew alot was going to change in coming days. A big storm could shake the core of the alliances and a new nemesis era could start.