58. A Hurtful Truth

Francesco didn't say a word. He didn't need to. He didn't wish to. He just turned around and walked to the door.

Costanzo breathed as he was holding his head "Francesco. Where are you going?

Maria whispered " Francesco, I am sorry."

Francesco opened the door with force. In fact he used so much force that the door came of its hinges startling his mother and Costanzo. He turned to his mother as he dropped the door to the floor. He just stared at her. Betrayal was the feeling that was burning in his eyes. "Save it. Don't say it when you don't mean it." He then walked out.

Costanzo turned to his mother and gave her sad smile "I am sorry too mother ... Nothing will ever be the same now..." Costanzo then followed Francesco outside leaving his mother behind who covered her face.

Costanzo ran after Francesco in the corridor "Francesco Wait. Let's go back inside... Let's hear more... I want answers. I am sure you do too."

Francesco carried on walking " I don't wish to hear any more."

Costanzo asked "What are you going to do?"

Francesco didn't answer.

Costanzo reached Francesco and walked alongside him "She is not herself. She is doesn't know what she is saying. She has the mindset drilled into her since childhood that a wife has to serve her husband to death no matter what happens. She is hurting too."

Francesco didn't answer.

Costanzo boldly blocked Francesco's path and made him stop walking. He never had done that before. He had never dared block his brother. He didn't remember anyone block Francesco. Maybe O'Neil might have done it before but he hadn't.

Francesco looked at his brother with hardened eyes "Did you just block my path?"

Costanzo put his hand up in surrender " Let me Talk ... Please Francesco. This is not an every day occurrence."

Francesco took a look into his brother's eyes and said roughly "Talk."

Costanzo started talking quickly "Let's go back and talk to her... Don't do this... She doesn't mean it. She doesn't .... She doesn't love him..."

Francesco stared him down. "Don't... Don't say she doesn't mean it. She meant every word. What you do about this, is no concern of mine. This conversation is over."

That sure sounded like an order. That immediately made Costanzo take a step back "Please. We are brothers... Let's resolve this."

Francesco said in a low tone after a few seconds of silence  "You want answers. Do you? Answers to what? Wake up brother. You choose to believe we are a family that can be mended. I don't. Our mother loves the man who abused her. Our mother loves a man who abused us. What does that make her?"

Costanzo retorted "A victim. She doesn't know what all this means to us."

Francesco said in a harsher tone "I never said she does understand. I never said she can help herself. But the fact is ... she is choosing an abusive husband over her sons. I don't denounce her. But I am walking away." He then side stepped Costanzo and carried on walking.

Costanzo followed Francesco "Where are you going? What are you going to do?"

Francesco turned around and spoke words with meaning behind each one "I am going to go ... to figure this out. I will need to also figure out a way to explain this to my children. I need to explain to them at some point that their grandmother loves a man who hurt her and her children but I need to make it clear I don't take her side but ... I still love my mother. How will you explain this to your son? How will you explain it in a way that he doesn't think he can be a wife beater and live happy with his future wife. I can't have this in my life. I can't. I can't have our mother keep glorifying a man who hurt us every single day. Keep an eye on your son. I will keep my eye on mine." He then turned to carry on walking.