12. Tension At Harlem

Terza was staring at him with defiance. Vincenzo would have given anything to read her mind. She pressed her lips as she was clutching the fork and plate in her hand. She narrowed her eyes as she looked at Vincenzo "Who do you think you are talking to Vincenzo? I dont take nonsense from any boys including you. Just because there is something going on between us that I dont even know what its called doesnt mean you get a free pass to do as you wish and say as you wish. You dont have the right to talk to me like that. Now I am going to walk out that door. You will let me walk away. But that is something you are good at. When you are not meant to let me walk out of your life, you do nothing and standby. But when you are meant to keep away, you keep coming at me. It stops now. You will sort your life out and then come talk to me Vincenzo."

As Terza turned to walk away, Vincenzo put his hand on the wall blocking her path as he leaned close " Terza. You ask me to sort my life. Well, you are my life... It's true. Terza, I didn't say anything you didn't expect to hear. I don't take insults either. There is a price to pay when you confront me. Don't you agree? If you wish to leave it like this, then be my guest but I won't let you get away Terza. Before you walk out while we are not even, let's make one thing clear. I didn't let you walk away. I was going to make our secret relationship work."

Terza shook her head " I am not your side dish Vincenzo. I made it clear. I won't be your side chick. You can't have it two ways. I am not yours right now. You are taking advantage of my feelings for you. I do feel sympathy for you. That's why I let you get closer than you should have. But it doesn't mean I see you as my man. You are not my partner. We just have a peculiar relationship that I can't call anything but a teenage mess."

Vincenzo nodded " I don't deny that. It is a mess. I am sorry Terza. It is a mess I am willing to fix."

Terza replied " Save it Vincenzo. Words are meaningless to me. I like to see action."

Vincenzo chuckled darkly and spoke words that brought chills down her spine " Be careful what you wish for Terza. I am claiming you soon."

Terza froze as. Hills went down her spine from the meaning behind each word. Vincenzo meant his words. He was coming for her and she was nervous. But she wasn't afraid. She enjoyed her freedom till then but darker times were coming. Vincenzo was going to turn eighteen just as he was warning her he was going to claim her.

Vincenzo then looked at her with affection as he spoke softly " Terza. I am who I am. I am a man. I find you incredibly irresistible and attractive right now. For being hostile to me, I am giving you way out of my future retaliation. Let me taste what you are tasting... with your hand..."

Terza breathed "No Vincenzo. Bring it on."

Vincenzo nodded " Alright Terza. Maybe the next time I ask you for a trade, you will be more co-operative. Enjoy the silence before the storm while it lasts." He then brought down his hand giving her way to her relief. She really didn't have the strength to fight him. She hadn't slept much last night as her body was adjusting to the change in the hours. It was going to take her awhile after her return from Italy to be used to the eastern time. She whispered " You don't scare me with your threats Vincenzo. If I feel like doing what you say, I will do it. Otherwise I won't."

As she walked away to the door he whispered back " If I feel like letting you walk out with no consequence for your hostility then I will. Otherwise I won't."

Clarisa put her hand on the door knob and turned around " Have fun in the meeting."

Vincenzo smiled " I will." He watched her leave the room taking his heart and soul with her. He sat down on the bed as he popped open a can of soda thinking about everything in his life. He was on the edge of victory and defeat at the same time. He had his family, he had achieved so much. He was an observer to other people's struggles while he was revelling in success. He knew a lot. Knowledge was power in his view and he knew more than he should have. But all would have been for nothing if Terza didn't return his feelings. She was all he wanted right now. He stood up as he was taking sips from his soda. He touched the spot on the wall where Terza was leaning on. He closed his eyes and imagined she was in that room. Her perfume was lingering and her presence was still fresh in his mind. Why couldn't he always have her with him? That was the tragedy of life. He opened his eyes and drank the rest of his soda as he prepared himself to go into business mode. The battle was going to start for some and the end was near for many too. He was going to watch the demise of many with no guilt. He was who he was. A mob heir, a war lord, a gangster.