43. Keys

Francesco was walking around the room looking at the paintings. He looked at his watch "Two minutes... That is all you have..." He didn't normally give anyone count downs. It wasn't his style. He didn't think anyone deserved a chance if they betrayed him... But he took an exception for his own son. Vincenzo was only seventeen. He had so much to learn. He was quite mature for his age and was smart. But he was still a kid... Francesco looked at his watch "Are you ready to take me on once your time is up?"

Vincenzo was standing silently at the other side of the room leaning the the wall. He didn't move, didn't blink and didn't respond. He didn't recall the last time he blinked in that room. He was deep in thought. But the sound of the keys his father took out of his pocket brought him out of his thoughts. His father turned to him as he threw the set of keys in the air and caught it in his hands "Do you know what these keys represent?"

Vincenzo knew he couldn't answer the question correctly. His father had his own symbolism notions.

Vincenzo said "No. I don't know." He then saw a hint of a smile on his father's expression. His father wanted him to be a leader but when he honestly admitted to lack of knowledge his father was happy to hear his honesty.

Francesco threw the keys up in the air and caught them again "Neither did I... Neither did I when I was asked the same question. I was in college. There was a college lecturer who asked me this. He was only a few years older than me and he was a senior really just picking up extra credits teaching the juniors. He was the first generation to go to college in his family. In the first lecture he dangled the keys in front of the class and asked the same question. He told us each key represents a qualification or skill that he already got and also ones he was going to get and each key could open a door for him. There hasn't been an offer he hasn't got from around the world job wise. He wasn't academic. He just worked hard. He just studied hard. He was not gifted. He was right. Each qualification and skill can open a door in life ... Now son, what you are doing is closing the doors with the keys I gave you. I focused on giving you knowledge that's power. You are closing doors with it by not using the knowledge and qualifications I made sure you have. You are too smart son to fall for what others tell you to do. I didn't raise you to be a follower. I raised you to be a leader, one who will not listen to whoever shouts the loudest at him... I raised you to pick up keys as you go along in life and open doors in life..." He then turned around to a painting and whispered "I wanted you to open doors... the doors that I couldn't even open."

That hit Vincenzo hard. He felt like suffocating. He wanted to say so much to his father that he held inside. He wanted to tell his father how much he wished he could turn back time and he wanted to tell his father how right he was.

Vincenzo took a deep breath and whispered "How about family?"

Francesco turned around "Family? You protect your family. That's your duty... You protect your family against anything and anyone including itself... Now there is only one minute left. What's your decision."

Vincenzo was staring at his father. His father would have made anyone else beg on their knees. His father was capable of doing it to him too. He knew his father was right. He spoke honestly "Father... I don't know where to start..."

Francesco walked towards him "Right here... Take my hand and come home with me... I will set you free from whatever it is that's stopping you from listening to your father. Take my hand..."

Vincenzo looked into his father's eyes and at his hand. It was not a question. It was an order. Vincenzo took a deep breath "Father... there is so much I want to tell you ... You need to know about so much that I have been involved with before you offer me your hand... there is so much you need to know about me..."