68. His Decisions & Choices

Adele walked into her bedroom finding Francesco pacing the floor drinking vodka. She closed the door said "The guests are having fun down there with music and drinks O'Neil had arranged. What a surprise. I have never seen so many people dancing. He has hijacked the quiet lunch... He has invited people and has arranged food and entertainment. How long are they staying for?"

Francesco didn't look at her as he took sips from his vodka "Do you want them to leave sweetheart? Just ask Vincenzo to ask them to leave. He knows how to scatter a crowd. I have taught him how..."

Adele smiled as she walked to him "No. I don't want them to leave. But I want you there too... I know O'Neil has gone over the top... I just want to know how long they are staying so I order some more food if they are here till midnight..."

Francesco sighed "They will leave when you want them to leave sweetheart. There is enough food and drinks. We don't need more..."

Adele stood in front of him and reached her hand to his vodka glass "Please. Talk to me... You drink more when you are thinking hard... or something is bothering you. I am worried..."

Francesco let her take the glass. She put it away and looked at him.

Francesco said "Sweetheart... You don't need to worry..."

She said "Then talk to me please." She then reached her hands up and wrapped them around his neck as she leaned close and hugged him. She put her ear on his heart "Your heart beat calms me down... I get worried when you have so much on your mind..."

He kissed the side of her head as she looked up while holding on. He said "I always have so much on my mind..."

She said "What is on your mind now..."

He said "Packing my bags..."

She gasped "What? Where are you going?"

He said "You are coming too... with the kids... All of us are going... I am going to Sicily. I can't tell you the time of the flight. I arrange it last minute for more security... You need to back and be ready to leave."

She frowned "Why are you going to Sicily? Isn't that enough that you gave our son away to your family?"

He said "Sweetheart. I didn't give him away. He chose to take the offer to be the young Don."

She said "He is to young to understand his choices. You should not have let him get exposed to those people."

He said " I was younger than his age when I met you. I knew exactly what I wanted..."

She said "That was the 1950s.... right after the war... We were a different generation. This is the 1980s now... These kids are different."

He said "Vincenzo's destiny always belonged to him. Just like how my Destiny belonged to me after I fought long and hard for it... He needs to fight long and hard to retain what he has or he will lose it. I won't be the one to stop him reach his full potential."

She said "Which is what? Being the big boss ordering around your family business in Sicily ..."

He said "It will be upto him Sweetheart.

She said " Sometimes I wonder ... If I had not met you... I would have been dead... Your uncle would have killed me and my family. But you saved me... Now I am here watching my eldest son in the middle of a conflict. He is back from Sicily. Let him stay here please. Cut back all ties with those people. I always wanted you to build bridges with your family but now that I see them using my child as their leader because Vitale alone is not enough and he is not as respected as you would be or your son would be... I want us away from them... What if they hurt our son? He is back alive. Please don't go back. Please don't take him with you at least if you go back. You want to see the Don before he dies... I hear he is ill but why.... Keep away. We have to stay away to protect our children... Isn't that what you have always been doing? All these years. I know Antonio betrayed you but your father luckily didn't hurt our son. He is alive at least and Antonio has confessed nothing happened to Vincenzo except witnessing some horrific scenes. But our son is like you... He can move on from horrors. He can build a life forgetting your father... So now all that's left is keeping him away from Sicily..."