53. Self Discovery

O'Neil gave Vincenzo a hint of a smile as he stared back at him silently.

Vincenzo asked again "Will you tell me?"

O'Neil shook his head and said under his breath "Young people these days have no patience. Vincenzo, It's very tempting... Technically, I could tell you. Of course. I would be happy to to... However I would prefer it if you asked your father... I tried to convince your father to tell you about his past so you don't have to hear third party accounts. Not that anyone would dare unless they are limitless like me... I asked your father and he refused... I have reason to believe you are the only one who can make your father change his mind... Do you think I could tell you everything perfectly? Do you think anything you hear from me or from anyone else is as informative as what you will hear from your father? Do you really think I had this talk with you so you could just ask me nicely to tell you everything and I would say let's discuss this over a cup of tea? Is that really what you think?"

Vincenzo argued "Of course not. I know I must hear the truth from my father. But I am not optimistic. I am desperate. I have defied my father too many times in the past 24 hours as you pointed out. I see it highly unlikely for my father to trust me again to tell me anything at all ... Time is running out... Truth from you is better than none..."

O'Neil said "You obviously don't know your father as well as you think you do. He is strict but he is forgiving and reasonable when it comes to his family. He knows your intentions. He knows you did not know what you were doing and you were manipulated. I only say you deserve a telling off because you shouldn't have defied your father so many times after once caught. Your father is trying to teach you a life lesson here even though you don't even know the extent of your full potential. You can convince your father if you try harder... I expect more from you... Why should it take you so long to get close to realise that the answers you are seeking are with your father and no one else? You must have come to this conclusion by now. You shouldn't even be asking me this ... to betray your father... I would totally tell you everything if I see it's the only option and even then I will have to live with looking into your father's eyes for the rest of my life and tell him I betrayed his trust and I invaded his privacy. If it saves you from taking the wrong path I will do it... But I believe there is hope for you yet. You can ask your father. You should have gotten the truth from him by now if you cared enough and recognised how important it was to get to know him. You want to protect your father but how can you do that if you don't even know what he needs protecting from. Tell me what does your father need protecting from if you know it all?"

Vincenzo stated "Decisions about his family that are caused by my involvement. I am responsible for this family feud..."

O'Neil corrected "That's where you are wrong. Firstly your father has been making tough decisions since he was even younger than you... Your father is not in need of help in that department... Secondly, You are not responsible. Your grandpa is responsible. You were a minor when your grandpa made contact with you. Your uncle Antonio was blackmailed into it too. He is guilty but the main responsibly lies with your grandpa. So tell me, what does your father need protecting from?"

Vincenzo said "I just know, I must take the burden off him. He should not have to take action on the man who wronged his family."

O'Neil said "Wrong again. This is no burden. This is his duty. As a father he is responsible to look out for his son... As a father he is responsible to protect his family. This comes natural to him to protect his child. He does not need help there too... And damn right he must take action against a man who is a danger to his family... Do you have any other ideas?"

Vincenzo said "My grandpa is no danger. He can't hurt my father..."

O'Neil said "Ironic. Ironic. Ironic. He already has... Every day he hurts your father in ways you can't imagine."