51. Allies Always

Francesco was calm as he always was. He was not surprised by his son's actions. He expected his son to want revenge. He was too young. He never compared himself to his son when he was his age. At seventeen their worlds were completely different. He was one to fight to keep everyone around him that he cared for alive. If he didn't follow a certain path others could suffer. He was protecting his mother, his brother, Adele and her family. His father was unstable. He was mental. All the time he was on fence. His life was like living a loveless nightmare. The only thought that kept him going was seeing Adele again. Would he have killed his father if he didn't get Adele? Absolutely. He cared for his wife more than making justice happen. Right now he was more worried about his wife if she heard their son had gone rogue. She would have been horrified if she found out that Vincenzo was going down this path of revenge. He asked him to keep out of it. Vincenzo had a mind of his own. He could understand why. Vincenzo was seeing this as an act of loyalty. He wanted to take revenge for himself and his father. But his son had only scratched the truth's surface. He didn't know anything. That was because he had chosen not to inform him of the full truth.

Francesco didn't want anything to do with his Sicilian family and they hadn't let him be. They had chosen his son as heir knowing he could be a better leader than Vitale. He had reluctantly stepped aside and had allowed Vincenzo to make his own choices. He trusted his son to make his own choices and learn from his own mistakes that was a luxury he wasn't allowed to have. His father had controlled every step he had taken in his life for the first 25 years and if he hadn't broken away and hadn't over thrown him it would have continued. He didnt believe in dictation. He despised it. He didnt want to be the kind of father to dictate to his son what path to choose. It was ok to be wrong. He wasn't going to penalise his son for defying him but he had to open his eyes to reality. However it wasn't that simple. In order to make his son see the truth he had to tell him everything and he wasn't ready to talk about his past. He had buried it deep in the past. He wasn't ready to resurrect it. He had been through so much in his life. He had been hurt by his family and friends. He had managed to survive and build a wall around himself making sure he protected his family and enemies knew what he was capable of and what lengths he was willing to go if they disturbed his peaceful life.

As he was standing in front of the building his son was hiding in he was thinking of the best way to handle the situation. He looked around him. His soldiers had surrounded the building and were waiting for his orders as he was leaning to his car looking up. He was full of rage and felt unhappy. But he didnt show it. He was wise enough not to show his feelings in public. His family saw his other side. His men didnt need to know how he felt. He was not happy and his son was not going to like feeling defeated. Vincenzo thought he could run away from him in New York. The kid had no idea of his power. No one knew the extent of it except O'Neil. No one knew who he truly was except O'Neil. Did Vincenzo really think he hadn't had chances to wipe out his father and his entire Sicilian family? He could. He was capable of doing so. But his son didnt know that. he thought he was acting like the Don punishing a man who was under his rule. Well, Francesco was not doubting his son's loyalty. Not even in the slightest. This was his way of saying to him "Father I dont wish for you to kill your father. I will do it for you and will take the burden off you so Sicilians can come after me."

There was a problem. Vincenzo didnt know that Sicilians would not have dared breathe objections to anything that he did. Francesco had enough power and had O'Neil on his side. But he couldn't say the same about his son. His son didnt have O'Neil. He had Tristan. But Tristan was just a kid too who was loyal to his father. His son needed O'Neil's loyalty that he had not earned. O'Neil was Vincenzo's godfather. He had tried to push his son to his direction to learn from the man who had turned his life around. He hoped O'Neil's mentorship could do what it did for him. But of course his father had come in and had become his son's mentor on the side and Francesco had no knowledge of it until that day. He had tried to talk some sense into him but his son was young and reckless. So he had made the difficult decision to take a step back. It was easy to walk in and get his son out of there and put him in a car to go to his mother. But Vincenzo was going to keep trying. He was as stubborn as he was. So he had called in a favour with O'Neil. He had decided to ask for his assistance.