34. The Young Don (Part 4)

Terza was sitting in the car waiting. She was looking through the windows watching Vitale speaking to Vincenzo as he was meeting his gaze bravely. She did find it intriguing with how Vincenzo treated Vitale like a brother so gently. She could see Vincenzo putting his hand on Vitale's shoulder as though touching someone holy so gently. Family was holy to Vincenzo. He had hardly seen Vitale in his life but he treated him like he did Viggo. She never recalled Vincenzo treating Viggo roughly in public just like how he treated Vitale now. She knew behind closed doors there could be much more but the respect Vincenzo showed to his blood in public was evident.  

Terza could see that Vincenzo was reprimanding Vitale as he was whispering in his ear with a stone faced expression.

Terza thought over Vitale's words and actions. He had said too much. He knew he had. She could see it in his eyes. She could see the conflict in him. He was meant to be loyal to her and meet her demands as she belonged to Vincenzo so he did seem torn about satisfying Terza calming her and also keeping Vincenzo's secrets. She knew she had put him in a difficult situation. Was there going to be a next time? She wasn't sure. She recalled how Vincenzo always warned her not to look for answers he wasn't willing to give. Now she could see how complicated the answers could be. Vincenzo having to protect people from his father was a mind blowing revelation. She knew how much Vincenzo loved his father and how much Francesco Rosario loved his son. This just showed the depth of this matter and the complexity of Vincenzo's life. This was only the beginning. He was only young. Other kids his age were filling in college application forms while Vincenzo's one was filled ages ago. In fact his life was planned for him a long time ago just like how Tristan's life had been. 

Terza saw Vincenzo walking away towards the building as Vitale walked to the car slowly. He opened the door put his hands on the roof of the car as he bent slightly with a weak smile "Hi again..."

Terza looked at Vitale who was filling the door leaning to the car "You are alive? How come?"

Vitale's smile suddenly vanished and his expression turned unsure. Terza could even see a hint of paleness in his face as it became obvious he didnt expect to hear that. He looked at Terza with an unreadable expression that was handsome at the same time. He had a Rosario look afterall. Vitale whispered "Did you expect me not to live? Did you..." He then looked around.

Terza noticed that the guards kept their distance. He didnt need to check for people listening but of course he was checking if Vincenzo was around.

Vitale looked back at Terza "Did you ask for ... my death from Vincenzo?" He then held his breath and it was obvious he was awaiting her reply in anticipation.

Terza didnt expect to see Vitale this concerned. She smiled and sighed "What kind of question is this? No. I did not."

Vitale breathed "You didnt? He would grant it you know. In a heart beat. If you ask for my death he would give the order without hesitation." 

Terza was actually intrigued by Vitale actually taking their encounter seriously as a threat to his life " But do you think you committed anything worthy of death?"

Vitale stated "I didn't commit any sins. I made errors. Only sins are punished by death. But... if you ask for my execution it would come. I know it will.

Terza didnt think that at all "You are his cousin. He wont hurt you..."

Vitale stated "He will if I hurt you or if you feel hurt by me... I am still not convinced that you didnt ask for my death. You were surprised to see me alive."

terza explained " I didnt ask him to kill you.. I was joking with you. I said  what I said as a joke implying how surprised I was at you being healthy... He said he will give you a warning for what you did. He is normally not in the habit of giving warnings that are painless. At least you should look like you are in pain, if not dead. Did he do anything to you after he left me here and went in to get you?"