Chapter 2~ Aftermath

This will continue being in Jesse's P.O.V. until further notice.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter 2~ Aftermath

"How is he?"

"He's got a few broken bones, a couple of deep cuts that needed stitches, and a mild concussion. I have prescribed him some oxycodone. It's a very strong painkiller, the strongest next to morphine. Give it to him twice a day everyday for ten days and he'll be good as new in no time."

I heard my mom and the doctor talking as I slowly awoke. I still felt pretty groggy from the sedative so I just lied in the bed with my eyes closed, not really focusing on anything in particular. Then my mom said something that immediately caught my attention and alerted me. I stayed in the same position as I listened to the conversation.

"What about his girlfriend, Beca Mitchell?" My mom asked.

There was a moment of dead silence. It was so quiet you could hear a pen drop. Then the doctor spoke.

"Maybe we should finish this conversation outside. I don't want to disturb your son. He needs all of the rest he can get."

I then heard the door open....then close. I immediately went to go move when a sudden pain pierced through my body. I grunted a little but not enough for the doctor and my mom to hear. I looked down at myself and saw a complete mess of what I'm pretty sure is my body.

I'm in a hospital gown that stops about halfway down my thighs. The right side of the gown is hiked up and propped over a full leg cast. My left arm is in some kind of little splint and I can feel the stitches on my forehead. I lift the gown up a little to reveal a couple marks where they must have had to shock me to kick start my heart. I also see a long cut down my chest that has been stitched back up. Pain is shooting through me faster than country boys on steak and gravy day but I push it out of my mind and slowly stand up from the bed.

I grabbed the pole that the I.V. hangs on for support then pulled the suction cups things of my head and chest along with the clip on my finger. This caused the heart beat monitor to draw a flat line and let off this God awful squealing sound that made my head hurt worse. I slowly made my way to the door when the doctor and my mom burst into the room.

"Jesse!" My mom yelled, relieved to see me standing instead of dead.

"Mr. Swanson, you have to get back in bed you are not strong enough to be walking yet. That will put stress on you and your heart can't handle that kind of stress right now." the doctor said.

He carefully grabbed my arm and tried to lead me back to the bed but I snatched it away from him.

"Where's Beca?" I asked.

"Come on, get back in the bed." the doctor continued.

"I'm not moving until I know where Beca is!" My voice started to raise out of frustration.

Tears immediately welled up in my eyes at the doctor's avoiding of my question. If he would rather avoid it then say it then it can't be good.

"Honey, if you get back into the bed then Dr. Stevens here will tell you everything you need to know." My mom bargained.

I looked at her and thought for a moment before agreeing. She and the doctor quickly but carefully grabbed my arms and lead me back to the bed. They helped me get positioned into the upright position.

"Ok, I'm good. Now tell me." I said once I was as comfortable as a guy who was just in a wreck could get.

"Do you need anything else?" My asked trying distract me.

"What I need is for you two to grow pair and tell me where my girlfriend is!" I snapped scaring my mom a little.

"I'm sorry, I'm frustrated. In case you haven't noticed, I haven't had a good day. Now please just tell me where Beca is, you promised mom." I calmed myself.

"You're right sweety. Go ahead Dr. Stevens. Tell him the...news."

The doctor looked at my mom then me. He took a deep breath then began talking.

"Mr. Swanson, Beca Mitchell has been placed on the third floor of this hospital building." He started.

I was confused at first then I remembered what floor that was.

"No." I said under my breath as the tears began to leak down my face.

"I'm sorry but Beca has fallen into a coma that I'm almost 99% certain there will be no waking up from."