Chapter 4

Oh my darling, it's true

beautiful things have

dents and scratches,

too

*****************

    Suddenly, a general came running in our direction. I took a step closer to Han, expecting the general to start lashing out at him. It was my instincts; at any sign of danger, I prepared myself. But this man was clearly not going to cause us any harm.

    He slowed down, facing Leia. His nametag, in messy handwriting, read: General Arax

    "General Organa--the imperials have taken the planet of Taris. They've been there for weeks, according to the messages coming in. We think that some freedom-fighters there broke into a communication computer and sent out the messages, but the Imperials have most likely gotten the situation under control by now. According to the few messages we got, the Empire has a tight hold on security and communications. No one is allowed to send out any messages. They're there simply to take over more ground, but we also think that they might be after metals there--" Arax took a breath, "We need you to take your squad, and attempt to infiltrate the Imperial base there."

    I expected Leia to ask him to repeat his news; but she seemed to have remembered every word. "Will do, sir. This is urgent, correct?"

    The general nodded anxiously. "More than you and I realize. Taris has a ton of representatives in the Republic--or, had. They were also helpful in helping us Rebel...and they're powerful. The Empire is surely going to use their power against us, so it's best that we act quickly."

    Leia dismissed him with a curt nod, turning back to us. "Everyone heard that, correct?" she asked. I couldn't help but notice the way she lifted her head when she spoke, the way that her eyes narrowed slightly--anyone would be able to tell that she was a Princess. We all nodded.

    Suddenly, a big, hairy--thing came up to Han, playfully batting him on the shoulder. I wasn't so much alarmed as I was baffled.

    Han turned to the creature with a small grin; "Hey, Chewie." he greeted it. I thought that maybe it was a Wookie, but I wasn't sure.

    Han turned to face me again. "This is Chewbacca, my co-pilot. You might not understand him, but trust me, he's great." he told me. Chewbacca let out a rumble of agreement. I raised my eyebrows, trying to look friendly; but I honestly was starting to get exhausted from meeting so many different people.

    Suddenly we were moving again. One thing I was beginning to realize about Leia--she didn't waste time. "Alright guys; Luke and Chewie--you guys come and help me with getting our gear from our storage tank. Ellie and Han, you guys go back to the Falcon and get it ready for launch."

    And just like that, she, Luke, and Chewbacca all disappeared into the crowd of Rebels, leaving me and Han to get back to the Falcon.                        

I turned to face him, and without thinking, said, "She really likes to get things done, huh?"

    I hoped, dearly, that what I had said hadn't been rude. Sometimes I said things without thinking--in recent years, it was a habit I had learned to control. But sometimes, things slipped out.

    Han Solo, however, didn't seem to mind. "Yeah, that's Leia for you. She doesn't ever give me and Luke a break, to tell you the truth," he responded, scratching the back of his head, as if he was deep in thought. I nodded quietly, not wanting to go much further into this discussion. I felt very odd and awkward when maneuvering through social networks and conversations. I was far more comfortable observing people, rather than talking to them.