Chapter 22

*********************

We don't have a lot,

but we've got each-other.

*********************

Later that evening, our friend group is hanging out near the food court. We've all finished eating our food, and we're just having a good laugh at the time.

Han, who had joined us a little while ago, gives Luke a teasing look. "Wow, you got beat by a girl?" At this, Han looks at me and I pretend to be mad.

"Why does it even matter, hm? Is it because I'm a girl, so that automatically means that I can't beat you into the ground? Because if that's why, I can definitely prove you wrong." I know, though, that Han is well aware of this. He gives me a smile and chuckles.

"But she's really great at fighting and stuff, so I honestly think she could beat anyone of us in a fight." Luke says, and I flash him a slightly embarrassed but grateful look.

Leia opens her mouth to respond, but I'm quicker. "I'm sure Leia would have me beat, though," I put in, and at my comment, Leia gives me a small smile.

Our group is talking, hanging out, having fun. I look around and I can't help but notice the light of happiness and contentment in everyone's gazes, the smiles that they're all making.

I think back on that day in Mos Eisley, when I'd first met Han Solo.

That felt like it had happened years ago, but really, it had only been around a month ago. Only a month? Had it even been that long?

Everything's all laughs and smiles, when we hear the speakers click on. There's speakers everywhere around the base, and they blare out the words of whoever is speaking into them.

Mon Mothma's voice sounds throughout Echo Base. "I need Captain Han Solo and his squad to come to the Council Room immediately."

The speakers turn off, and our group is silent.

We all look at one another, confused. After a pause, Han sighs and brushes some snow off of his shoulder. "Alright, guys, let's go." he tells us. We all follow Han as he leads the way towards the Council Room.

What did Mon Mothma want from us? Were we in trouble?

I wasn't sure. I was a bit worried--but I pushed my worry aside and took a deep breath as we turned the corner, and then headed into the Council Room. I realize abruptly that this was where the meeting we'd attended a few days ago had been held.

Mon Mothma is standing in the room, surrounded by quite a few war generals. I see her grim gaze, and I get the feeling that me and my friends aren't in trouble after all.

Upon seeing us, a relieved sigh escapes the woman. She strides quickly over to us.

"We've just received a transmission from some rebels--apparently, many people are being held hostage on the Ravager Star Destroyer. Civilians, freedom fighters, rebels, anti-Empire people....all of them are being held captive on the Ravager. According to our sources, all of the hostages are to be executed within a few hours," Mon Mothma takes a breath, and continues, "We're sending out our rebel fleet to go and distract some of the TIE-Fighters surrounding the Ravager, and we're picking our best squads for a very important mission." eyeing all of us, I can tell that she's desperate to make sure everything works out as planned.

"Squad 1 will sneak onto the Ravager and silently take out as many troopers as they can whilst searching for the code to open the hostage prisons. You all will be Squad 2," Mon Mothma nods at me, Han, Luke, and Leia.