Chapter 28

*********************

Sometimes you will never

know the value of a moment

until it becomes a memory.

*********************

Around two weeks later, things were (somewhat) back to normal. I got out of my room and started working around Echo Base, doing jobs like ship repairs and file-sorting. Thankfully, Mon Mothma didn't ask for me and my friends to fight in any battles during this time. In fact, our fight against the Empire was a bit quiet at the moment. We had our suspicions that they were planning something, but us Rebels were grateful for the break in the battle.

As for me, Luke, Leia, Han, and Cecily, we'd all been doing well. Leia had been somewhat reluctant to trust Cecily at first, but she'd gotten over it. Han, however, had been more hesitant than Leia. I'd noticed the way he'd scoot closer to me whenever Cecily walked by. I knew he was protective, but why was he only ever doing that around me? Why didn't he scoot closer to Luke or Leia when Cecily came by?

But he was warming up to her, as was Leia. I could tell that Cecily felt kind of awkward around them, but I did whatever I could to make sure she felt like she fit in. I knew what it was like to feel out of place--I was still having trouble with feeling that way.

Luke, on the other hand, hadn't talked to Cecily since the day he and I had met her. I've talked to her a lot since then; but Luke hasn't. He's been "busy" whenever I've invited him to go anywhere that involves seeing Cecily. I'll ask him what he means by busy, and he'll say stuff like, "Uh, reading," or "Just stuff."

Weird, right?

Thought so.

What's his deal anyway?

As I walk towards Luke and I's training courtyard, I ponder this yet again. Luke hasn't ever really acted this way--not since I've met him. I hope he's okay.

I see Luke, sitting down on the snow, tossing his lightsaber handle from one hand to the other. He looks pretty focused on this until I walk up to him, and then he smiles once his eyes land on me. "Oh, hey. You ready?" he asks, getting up and brushing snow off of his pants.

Nodding, I take my lightsaber out of my belt; we'd be training with our weapons today.

After he gave me a few instructions, me and Luke started our training session. It was really just sparring with lightsabers, but Luke was currently trying to teach me some complicated, effective moves. Though I was doing well, I found most of these moves challenging to make.

Soon, we'd been sparring for about thirty minutes, and by now we were both sweating from the constant fighting. As Luke bends over, his hands on his knees as he gasps for air, I hear Cecily's voice.

"Hey, um, what are you two doing?" she asks as she steps into the courtyard. She looks a bit hesitant, but her curiosity is obviously killing her. Her eyes dart between me and Luke as she stands there.

At her voice, Luke jumps. Literally--he flies up into the air, coming up a solid two feet off the ground, and then stands up straight as he turns to face Cecily. I'm confused as I notice his hands suddenly start shaking, and Lue abruptly shoves his hands into the pockets of his jacket.

"We're--um--we're just, uh, like, um--"

I cut in. "We're training, Cecily." I explain, looking at her and giving her a small, reassuring smile. I'm trying to convey that she's not interrupting anything by being here.