Chapter 6

Meeting you was like listening

to a song for the first time and

knowing it would be my favorite.

*********************   

A while later, we had landed on Phariah. The sun was just beginning to set as we landed on the orange desert rock of the planet.

The rock formation we stood on overlooked a meadow surrounded by jungle trees, with beautiful mountains in the background. Looking out from the window of the Falcon, I felt oddly small in such a big world.

We were only going to spend a few nights here, but I worried that that wouldn't be enough time to gaze out at the landscape around us. I sat beside the window, my arms wrapped around my knees as I put them up against my chest. I felt alone in this ship, even though that would make no sense.

I didn't know what we were doing. I had assumed that we were all sleeping on the ship, because that was what Leia was doing. But Luke, Han, and Chewie were nowhere to be found on the ship, so they were obviously busy with something outside.

Sighing, I let go of my knees and looked down at my hands. After using the sink here on the ship, the layers of dirt and grime on my hands have been washed away. Whenever I look down at them, I think that they're not mine. But they must be.

After a few more minutes of this, I heard rushed footsteps coming towards me. But I was zoned out, so I paid no attention to it. I continued to stare out the window, watching a flock of exotic birds flying over the distant trees.

A hand placed itself on my shoulder, and I flinched. I looked up to see Luke, practically bouncing up and down with anticipation. I put on a breathless, miniature smile. "What?"

Luke couldn't seem to get rid of his grin. "Me, Han, and Chewie all set up tents outside! Leia's not going to want to join us, but we were wondering if you wanted to come out and camp with us?" he watches me, waiting for my response.

I looked up at him, trying to understand it. They wanted me, the newbie, the depressed girl, to go out and camp with them? Even though I hadn't been that friendly as of late?

The thought that they still liked me despite that made my insides feel warm, and I wondered briefly how that conversation about inviting me along had went. Who had brought me up, I wondered?

I wasn't supposed to want to be friends with these people. But that didn't mean I couldn't loosen up on the reigns a bit, did it? Laughing a bit, I got off of the window-seat. My smiles and laughs were fake, of course, but I suddenly felt a step closer to the real thing. "Sure! Lead the way, c'mon, let's go--" me and Luke raced towards the door, him ahead of me. We bolted down the boarding ramp, and I stepped outside.

The sun was warm and comforting on my skin--I felt suddenly very motivated, and the breeze that buffeted my face sent a wave of satisfaction through me. Successfully managing to not grin, I ran after Luke as we stumbled down the hill, towards the tents that sat on the orange stone a little ways below.

Han and Chewie were just returning from, I guessed, gathering wood. They placed it in a pile in the middle of all the tents. Han looked up and saw Luke, and then saw me. Though I wasn't supposed to like him, I couldn't help but feel nervous when I saw Han's smile change into a grin at the sight of me.

Me and Luke reached them, and as they started to talk, I took the time to survey the campsite.

There were two tents. I felt kind of alarmed at this, realizing that there were four of us. But as I continued to look around, I realized that the tents wouldn't be cramped. They were pretty big tents, and the flap to go into one of them was open. From where I was standing, I saw multiple sleeping bags, lanterns, and various other items inside. It looked like a mini-house.