Chapter 11

*********************   

Fear is the path to the Dark Side.

Fear leads to Anger,

Anger leads to Hate,

Hate leads to suffering.

*********************   

I was in and out of a deep sleep for the next few days. I think maybe it was five, but I'm not sure.

Each time I'd woken up, it had only been to eat, drink, or something like that. But then I'd always go back to sleep. I didn't remember seeing anyone during those five days.

But I knew a few things; we were all safe. We had completed the mission on Taris. And we were still on the Falcon, cruising around space. 

This time, I wake up for real.

I open my eyes slowly, a light from above momentarily blinding me. I'm slow and tentative, and I open my eyes all the way, blinking a few times so that I can restore my vision.

I'm in a small room in the Falcon; this must be the Medical Room that I'd heard mentioned, once or twice. There was a bed in here (which I was on), and some shelves with medical supplies. Gadgets and tubes were on either side of me, and a strange needle was stuck in my arm. I don't see it, but I feel it under my skin.

I know that they must've drugged me with some sleep medicine, and it is now wearing off. I feel heavy and groggy, but I no longer want to sleep.

Then I feel the pain in my side, and I close my eyes quickly, sucking in a quick breath of air.   

Opening my eyes again, I turn my head to the side, and see Luke sitting next to me. He's on a chair next to the bed, reading the Jedi book. His blue eyes are scanning the page, and he's got his elbow on his knee, his chin propped up by his hand.

"Luke." I try to say his name at normal volume, but my voice only comes out as a raw whisper.

Luke looks up, his brow furrowed, and then he sees me awake. "El!" His eyes widen and he abruptly closes the book, setting it on a desk beside the bed. Scooting the chair closer to me, he leans forward.

"How you feeling?" he asks me quietly, looking me up and down as he raises my bed up to a sitting position.

I smile weakly. As I register what he's said, I remember the crushing pain in my chest from my fight with Cecily. "Better." Now that I think about it, my chest doesn't hurt nearly as bad now as it did then.

Relief breaks out on Luke's face, and he sighs. "That's great." he smiles at me, and then added, "I'll go and get Han, if you want."

I'm surprised that he's even thought of that. I smile a bit bigger at him and nod. Luke gets up out of his chair and leaving the room, the door closing quietly behind him.

As I lay there in the silence, I go over, in my head, the events of that fight.

I remember fighting Cecily, breaking my ribs, and losing at first. Then I realized that Luke, Leia, and Han were my friends, and I beat Cecily.

It feels so surreal. I think back on the girl who used the Force to stand up, the girl who used the Force to win...and I don't even recognize her as myself.

The door clicks, and I'm taken out of my thoughts. I'm alert, watching the door.

It opens, and Han Solo is walking into the room. My heart does a strange dance and I struggle to keep myself from leaping out of the bed.