Chapter 49

If there is ever a tomorrow 

when we're not together,

there is something you must always remember; 

You are braver than you believe

stronger than you seem

and smarter than you think.

But the most important thing is,

even if we are apart,

I'll always be with you. 

************************    

The bombs have all been planted when Han radios us. I, holding the radio, click the button to listen.

"You all finished?"

"Yep. You guys?" I ask back as Leia scoots closer to me. 

"All done. Start running, we're going to start the timer..." Han trails off, and I feel like he's going to say something else. "Be careful, alright?"

I smile as I exchange a glance with Leia. "We'll be careful."

We hang up. Sticking the radio in my belt pocket, I take out my blaster, and then my lightsaber. Leia's already got her gun in her hands. Without saying a word, we both take off, back towards docking bay 19. It's expected that we're going to run into Imperial forces, so having our weapons drawn and readied is important. 

As we run, I think of the feeling I've had since we first got assigned the mission. The feeling that gives me an overwhelming sense of dread. I don't want to believe that it means I'll die.

Its strange to think about death while you're possibly running towards it, as well as away from it. I think about death a lot. Not in a suicidal way, but in a fearful way. I've never liked the uncertainty of death; it terrifies me. I have no idea where I'll go when I die, if there's even a "where" to go to. The thought of dying a truly painful death always makes me feel sick. A painful death is the worst death, and I'd rather choose any other death than such a horrific one. My biggest fear in life has always been death. And no matter how many times I've managed to elude it, I almost always end up in a situation where its a huge possibility. 

Up ahead, I hear the sound of blasters firing. "What's that?" I gasp at Leia as we turn the corner.

We skid to a stop as we see the battle before our very eyes.

Rebels and stormtroopers are gunning one another down in the docking bay. Bodies from both sides litter the ground, and the light reflects a bit too brightly off of the bloodstains in the room. It's a massacre in there; both sides are frantic, desperate to kill.

I see the Falcon, sitting in the middle of the chaos, ready for me and my friends to board for takeoff. All we have to do is get to the ship. Leia grabs my arm, and makes me look at her. "We need to find Han and Luke, before anything else." she says. I nod, and as I turn back to face the fight, I see them.

Han and Luke, ducking behind an ammo crate, apparently in heated conversation. "Right there!" I gasp, pointing towards where they are. Leia sees them, and we wordlessly take off towards them.

The smell of stuff burning fills my nose and I gag. But I don't stop as I run, as blasters fire around my feet and over my head. Feeling the heat from a blaster laser passing my neck makes me shiver. Before I know it, me and Leia reach Han and Luke. We drop to our knees, getting down next to them.

"How did the troopers get here?" Leia breathes.

"Our forces--got overran..." Luke is clearly winded.