Chapter 23

*********************

That's when I realized

what a true friend was.

Someone who will always love you;

the imperfect you,

the confused you,

the wrong you--

because that is what people are supposed to do.

*********************

Our squad (along with other squads) is now on an Imperial cargo ship. The Rebellion stole it from the Empire, and had been waiting to use it for a mission such as this one.

We're flying through space, approaching the Ravager. Everyone's nerves are visibly increasing, and the tension in the ship is keeping everyone silent.

Disguised as Imperials, I can imagine that this is what the Imperial ship would actually look like, if it had members of the Empire in it. I'm in a green uniform with a tag on the chest of it; the tag has dashes of blue and red that, I can only assume, signify a rank of some sort.

Han is in the same type of uniform that I'm in; and, despite the fact that we're all going to war at the moment, I take note of how handsome Han looks in the uniform. I try to put my thoughts aside, though; I need to focus on the mission at hand.

Leia and Luke are in average white storm trooper outfits; they have their helmets on and I can't see their faces, so I don't know how they're feeling.

Throughout the ride, I've been focusing on how I'm going to keep everyone safe. Most importantly Han, Luke, and Leia. I'm aware that they can handle themselves, but that doesn't stop my almost overwhelming urge to defend them.

I remember, quite suddenly, how much I wanted to not like them. I'd tried to hate them, tried to keep myself from getting attached....and here I was, ready to go through anything if it meant their safety.

That feels like a lifetime ago.

I realize how knowing Han, Luke, and Leia has totally changed me. My entire outlook on life has been changed, the way I perceive things--everything about me is different, but still somewhat the same.

Who I'd once been was a girl who was afraid of living; a girl who'd wanted death because she thought she'd deserved it.

Who I am now is a girl with courage; a girl who will let the light into her life and allow herself to be free.

My life is completely different now.

//////////////////////

.On the Ravager....

My squad (Squad 2), Squad 3, and Squad 4 are all currently walking in formation down the hallways of the Ravager.

We'd snuck onto it with ease; Squad 1 had been assigned to get the prison codes, and take out some troopers in the process. They'd done their job and no Imperials had yet noticed; plus, we now had the codes.

Me and Han, since our green uniforms apparently mean we're a high rank, are leading forward most of the rebels that are in white stormtrooper outfits. Han is slightly ahead of me, and I'm copying his gestures and body language so that I don't give all of us away. I cross my arms behind my back and hold my chin up high, staring ahead of myself.

The hallways of the Ravager are like the walls in the halls of the Citadel on Taris; they're a black, shiny, metallic material that reflects the scenery around them. I glance at a wall as we turn a corner, and I can't help but think I look rather powerful in this uniform. I like the look it gives me.