Chapter 40

How lucky am I 

to have something that makes saying goodbye 

so hard. 

******************************

For two days, everything seems fine. For two days, the Rebellion settles into it's new base on Kashyyyk. The base is a bit more modern and not as old as the other ones have been. This one is more reinforced and more concealed, too. 

Me, Han, Luke, Leia, and Cecily all have a floor together, like we did on Hoth. We have somewhat special quarters, now; my guess is that this is because of all of our efforts that we've made to keep the Rebellion safe. Personally, I don't think we deserve any more than the other soldiers, but I don't complain. Extra comfort isn't something I'll turn down.

The planet is very, very colorful. Flowers bloom just about everywhere, and I'm fascinated by their colors. Our rooms are a marble white, the walls smooth and flawless. 

But through all this beauty, there is still the war to be remembered. The attack on the Coruscant orphanage has certainly not been forgotten. Its been quite a big topic of conversation lately, and this is concerning to me. Every time its mentioned around Cecily, I expect her to snap. 

She, however, has been doing the opposite. Ever since the news of the attack first came in, and Cecily had left the room, she's been oddly calm about the whole thing. At times, she's even willing to discuss it when it comes up in a conversation. It's odd, given how angry she was when she first heard the news. I prefer her calmness to her rage, though. 

I know I'm not the only one who's noticed her calm. Luke, Leia, and Han have all noticed it, too. It's strange to see Cecily, who's so expressive and usually unafraid to voice her anger, be so still. 

I'm pondering over this on the third night of us being on Kashyyyk, as I sketch a flower in one of my new notebooks. It's a very sucky looking flower, but not every flower can be perfect. As I'm thinking about Cecily's behavior, I hear a soft knock on my door.

Looking up, I abruptly close my notebook. Confusion makes me get to my feet as I cautiously approach my door. It's one in the morning; who could need me, at this hour? At first, I'm suspicious. But no one dangerous could be at my door. No one would get past the guards protecting every corridor, every entrance to the base. 

Pressing down on the door handle, I pull my door open, and I'm stunned to see Cecily, standing there. "Cecily?" I ask, wondering what she could possibly be wanting. 

She presses a finger to her lips, and shakes her head. I become even more confused, but I'm no idiot--she wants me to be quiet. So, instead of questioning her further, I beckon her into my room, and softly close the door behind her.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her, sitting down at the table in my mini-kitchen. I pat the wooden table, inviting her to sit. But she just stands a few feet from the table, hesitating.

"El..." her voice is choked, constricted. I'm shocked by the emotion in it, and worry spreads through me. She clears her throat, and suddenly sits in the seat before me. "El." she says again, her voice stronger this time. 

I lean in a bit closer. "Yes? What?" 

"I made you something. Please, just...don't ask too many questions. I don't have much time." her voice is still hushed, and I think of what could be making her act this way. I nod. 

She pulls a bracelet out of her pocket. It's made of vines and common gemstones woven together, and, to be honest, its quite beautiful. "This is not...its not a normal bracelet," Cecily tells me. "It's like the ones I made for my brother; where we could tell if the other was okay, and how they were feeling." she gestures to the bone bracelet on her wrist, and I see a vine bracelet next to it, identical to the one she's now handing to me. "It works the same way."