Chapter 35

***********************

They've promised that dreams can come true, 

but forgot to mention that nightmares are dreams, too. 

***********************

After the dance, in my room, I have a dream. 

At first I'm in a void of darkness, a place that I can only visit within my mind. I'm aware that I'm dreaming and I wonder where I am, or how I could possibly be aware that I'm dreaming. 

I hear a noise that gives me the impression that there's wind blowing past me, and I'm quiet as I look into the blackness ahead. I close my eyes, breathing calmly, deeply. The noise suddenly disappears, and I feel ground beneath my feet.

Opening my eyes, I see that I'm outside of Echo Base. There's stars shining up above, casting a cold glow on the snow. Small flakes of white slowly, patiently flutter around me. The moon is full, allowing me to see for miles.

This dream feels different from any other dream I've had. This one feels tangible; it feels real. Like I could reach out and touch it. As petals of snow fall on my skin, I feel small chills go up my arms. I actually feel cold.

Everything I see is so intricate in detail, so exact, so similar to the real world...I'm wondering if I might just be sleepwalking. My breaths freeze in the cold night air, the wind makes goosebumps break out across my skin.

And suddenly, I feel something else. A bump in the universe. A small dent in this altered reality. My breath hitches and I know: I'm not alone.

Slowly turning around, my eyes land on Darth Vader. He's standing there, arms crossed behind his back, watching me. My fingers automatically go to my waist in the effort to find my lightsaber (which would be in my belt), but I'm not wearing a belt. I briefly look down, and I see that I'm in a simple black long-sleeve, with black and white camo pants. I have nothing to defend myself with.

Looking up at Vader, I set my jaw, taking a bold step forward. "What do you want?" I ask him, my voice hard. I don't know why, but I'm furious at him. And maybe a bit terrified, too. He says nothing in response, and I grow even angrier because of that. "Why are you here?!" I yell. "Just leave me alone! Get out of my head! Get out!" my throat is freezing from the cold air, but I keep shouting.

Vader steps forward, and I stop, waiting. Waiting for something to happen.

"Ellie Stone." he murmurs, his deep voice sending icy spikes of terror through my heart. "I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here to help you."

I scoff at him in disbelief. "Then why'd you try to kill me a little while ago? Back on Mustafar, in one of my dreams?" How could Vader say that he's trying to help? 

He stares at me through his mask, and I stare straight back, my chest heaving. "I did that to see how much potential you had. And you definitely have potential. In fact, you have more potential than I did, as an apprentice." he comes closer, and it takes everything I have to stand my ground. "You're very special, Ellie."

I shake my head, tired of hearing the same old thing from people. "I'm not special, Your Majesty. I'm just me. So what if I'm talented with the force? I'm sure other people are." my tone is challenging, but no longer hostile. I don't want to let my guard down, but I'm almost curious as to why people think I'm special. I know it's not true, but I just want to know what makes them think that.