FORBIDDEN FOREST

I  was  born  in  a  small  village  ,it  was  one  of  the  parts  of  the  world  where  civilization  had  not reached.  The  residents  lived  in  thatched  huts  made  of  strong  twigs,  grass  and  leaves.  They made  use  of  plants  and  roots  as  medicines  to  heal  from  sicknesses.  Near  the  village  was  a  wide river,  across  the  river  was  a  thick  forest,  there  was  a  bridge  that  led  to  the  forest  from  the village  ,  at  the  side  of  the  village  a  gate  was  placed  to  avoid  people  from  going  into  the  forest. As  a  child  I  would  stand  by  the  gate  and  gaze  at  the  path  leading  into  the    jungle,  I  started developing  intentions  of  venturing  into  it.  Curiously  I  asked  my  great  grand    father  why  the  gate is  placed  there.  He  said  it  happened  a  very  long  time  ago  before  he  was  born,  the  men  used  to hunt  in  the  forest  fearlessly,  even  going  in  there  in  pairs  or  even  alone,  they  would  return  with carcase  of  wild  beasts  and   a  grand  feast  would  be  prepared  for  their  accomplishment.  On    a such    particular  feast  an  unknown  traveller  who  was  a  old  man  in  ragged  clothes  arrived,  no  one knew  who he  was  or  where  he  came  from.  He  walked  up  to the  village  chief  and  wished  to  give his  blessings  to  the  men  and  him.  The  chief  in  return  spoke  harsh  words  and  insulted  the stranger  in  front  of  the  gathering.  This  angered  the  old  traveller  ,  he  cursed  the  chief  and  the villagers  that  from  now  on  if  anyone  whether  men  or  women,  young  or  old  would  enter  the forest  he  or  she    will  never  return  saying  so  he  vanished  from  there,  some  even  swore  they  saw him  stomping    off  into  the  woods.  The  next  day  the  chief  went  hunting  with  his  troop  and  they did  not  return  ,  later  a  search  party  was  send  but  they  also  never  came  back.  Everyone  was ensured  this  was      due  to  the  curse  of  the  old  man.  Many  disappearance  was  reported  for  years onwards.  Finally  a  gate  was  made  to  keep  the  village  safe.  The  oldest  woman  in  the  village who's  husband  never  returned  from  the  woods  ,  every  day  when  the  sun  sets  she  stands  by  the gate  looking  into  the  forest  and  she  sees  him  standing  among  the  trees,  in  the  shadows  looking back  at  her,  many  have  seen  their  dear  ones  gazing  back  from  within  that  place  but  they  do  not cross  the  bridge  and  return  home,  they  never  do.   I  was  perplexed    hearing  about  the  grave  tale  and  frightened,  as  I  was  planning  to  go  there.  As days  turned  to  months  and  months  to  years  I  grew  up  and  got  married  and  soon  had  three beautiful  sons  of  my  own.  I  loved  them  all  dearly  I  was  especially  fond  of  my  youngest  boy  who was  seven  years  old.  On  a  particular    ominous  day  I  was  working  in  the  fields  when  a  friend  of his  came  to  me  and  said  that  he  went  past  the  gate.  I  ran  across  the  field  speeding  away  and  I reached  the  spot  ,  what  I  saw  was  unbelievable.  My  son  was  lying  on  the  ground  screaming  and was  being  dragged  by  some  invisible  force  into  the  forest  then  he  disappeared  into  the darkness  ,  he  went  out  of  sight  but  his  wails  could  be  still  heard  moving  farther  away.  I  tried  to break  the  gate  open  but  the  other  villagers  came  and  held  me  back.  After  the  tragic  incident  I was  devasted  on  the  loss  of  my  precious  child  ,my  family  and  friends    consoled  me  and  in  time    I overcame  my  sorrow.  Now  I  have  become  old  and  feeble  all  my  memories  have  faded  except the  happenings  of  that  day  ,  I  visit  the  gate    often,  I  always  see  my  beloved  child  gazing  back  at me  but  he  does  not  cross  the  bridge  ,  he  does  not  come  to  me.  Whoever  is  devoured  by  the forbidden  forest  never  return back.