THE STORM HAD BORROWED MY BOAT

“This  is one  of  the  bigger ones”  the  captain  said  to his mate  as he  tried  to negotiate  his search  and  rescue  vessel  named  “Angel  of  the  Coast” through  the extremely  choppy  sea.  Though  one  of  the  larger  vessels of the  coast  assigned  for search  and  rescue  duties covering  a  large  area  along  the  coast,  it  was  only  visible when it  rode  the crest  of  the  waves  and  as it  went  down  the  trough  it  seems to sink  until  it  re-  appeared  on  another crest.   The  rain  driven  by  wind  was  blinding  and  the  wind  one  would  think  was screaming  the  message  from  the  Lucifer  himself.  Sometimes  Lucifer  too  has his hours but  not for long.  The  good  lord  will  allow him  to stampede  like  a  stung  bull for a  few  hours before  shining  the  sun  on  him. Welcome to  the  hurricane  season  of  Cod  Coast.

Cod  coast  was  a  middle  sized  town  comprising  of  about  five  hundred  people. Most  of  the  people  earned  their  living  from  the  sea.  A  few  of  them  bought  the harvest  from  the  fisherman  and  sold  from  their  stalls  some  sold  their  catch  to middlemen  so  they  could  spend  more  time  at  sea.  Many  from  surrounding  areas came  to Cod  Coast  to  buy  their  sea  food  because  the  output  of  the  fishermen from  cod  coast  seemed  to be higher  than  their  neighbours.  The  cod  coast fishermen  were  proud  their  achievements  and  never missed  a  chance  to  be  vocal after  downing  a  few  straight  ones.  This had  established  a  semi  friendly  rivalry between  them and  their  neighbours.  

A handful  was  employed  in  the  post  office,  pub  and  stores.  There  was  an  office  for harbour master,  a  police  post,  a  doctor’s surgery  and  a  primary  school.  Students had  to travel  about  12  miles to the  next  town  to attend  high  school.  Many  young people  left  the  town  in  search  of  higher  education  and  better jobs.  Many  also  left because  they  were  sick  and  tired  of  the  sea.  Die  hard  sons and  daughters  of  Cod coast  stayed  back,  for they  were  the  true  sea  warriors who  dwelled  on  land. Hurricanes  always hit  cod  coast  harder than  other areas along  the  coast. “This is because  we  are  hard people”  boasted  the warriors.  

‘This is because  of  their  loud  mouths” their neighbours would  joke  among themselves. “This  is because  of  the  location  of  cod  coast”  concluded the  experts  at  the metrological  centre. The  captain  and  his crew were  an  experienced  lot. They  have  been  together  for some  years and  had  seen  a  lot  worse  and  still managed  to reach  the  shore  safely. “THE  BIGGER  THE STORM  THE GREATER THE  CHALLENGE.”  these  words  were written  in  bold  letters  in  the dining  area.   The  crew  used  basics  seamanship  and were  as careful  as  if  every  trip  was  their  first  one. They  knew  that  in  this kind  of  condition  when  everyone  will  be  busy  to save  their own lives  while  they  will have  to go out  to  save  others’  lives.  They  accepted  this because  it  was  their  job.  They  were  also professionals trained  for  these  sorts  of occasions. 

This is what  they  did  best.   It  was  the  first  mate  who thought  he  saw  a  bright  light  in  the  midst  of  white  foam. He  was  too  experienced  to shout  “wolf”  just  as yet. He  took  out  his binoculars  and waited  for another crest  and  looked,  below  him  he  saw  the  light  again.  He  sought his captain’s  confirmation. After looking  the  captain  confirmed  that  someone  was in  distress  and  the  rescue  was  on.   Each  crew member  knew  his  duty.

The  ship  began  its perilous manoeuvre  towards the  light  .After an  hour  or  so  they  were  about  200  feet  from  the  light. By the  help of  spot  lights  they  figured  out  the  boat belonged  to one  of  the  fishermen  along the  coast. There  were  quite  a  few  of  similar construction.  They  went  a  bit  closer and  aimed  their spot  lights  on  the  ship  and  blasted  the  horn  at  full volume. There was  no response  from  the  fishing  boat. There  are  one  or  two  daredevils in  every lot  and  this lot was no exception,  two crew members volunteered  to board  the  drifting  boat. 

They  boarded  the  life  boat attached  with  ropes  and  inched  towards  the  fishing  boat  in  a  sloppy  journey. Such  journeys are  time  consuming;  it  had  to done  with  care.  Slow  and  sure  are the  ingredients  of  success.  Often  the  rescuers are  so  focussed  on  their  jobs that they  do not really notice  how  long  it  took  them  to do the  job.  On  this occasion  it took  them  over  an  hour  to do 200  feet.

Eventually they  boarded  the  boat and  they  found  a  person  slumped  to the  floor. One  of  them went  near him  and  checked  for  a  pulse,  it  was  too  late  to save  the fisherman.

  The  face  of  the  dead  man  made  them  remember  the  main  character from  the  story of “The  Old  Man  and  the  Sea”  the  weather  beaten  face,  white  hair and  white  flowing  beared. By  the  time  they  took  the  fishing  boat under  tow,  it  looked  like  the  storm  was moving  as the  wind  was  losing  its intensity.

By  the  time  the  rescue  ship  had  berthed in  the  jetty  with  its tow  the  storm  had subsided  a  lot.  As  the  captain  got  out  the boat to wait for the  pre-arranged ambulance to  take  body  to the  morgue. He  saw  an  old  man  walking  towards  him. Though  a  tough  man  in  his own  right  the  captain  felt  very  uneasy at  the  sight  of this old  man,  he  felt  a  few  hairs  rising  on  his arm.

This old  man  looked  exactly  the  same  as the  dead man;  the  resemblance  was  so close  that  a  nerd  studying  biology  would  have  confirmed  that one  of  the  pair was a  clone.   The  old  man  continued  towards  the  captain,  he  was  staggering  a  bit  for the  bad weather  had  compelled  even  this good  old  man  to indulge  in  a  few  shots of  rum. “I  am  John  Smith  the captain  of  this boat”  The  captain  introduced  himself “I  am  Timothy  Range,  thank  you  for bringing  back  my  boat” the old  man  said cheerfully. “When did  you  lose  it?  “Asked  the  captain. “Some  time  last night  I  think  the  storm  had  borrowed  it,  may  be  for a  noble  cause, who knows?” laughed  the  old  man  drunkenly.

“Do  you  have  an  identical  twin  brother?”  asked  the captain The  old  man  seemed  shocked Had  one,  his name was Simon  Range  he went  fishing  with  his mates and  failed  to return”  murmured  the  old  man. “How long  has he  been  gone  for?”  asked  the  captain? “Exactly  one  year  from  today”  replied  the  old  man  holding  back  his tears. “Well  we  brought  him  back  home” replied  the captain “What….today  in  my  boat “stammered  the  old  man  in  total  dis-believe The  captain  turned  to his crew and  signalled  to them to bring  the  brother  out The  crew went  to the  spot  where  they  had  laid  the body;  they  found  that  the body  was  missing.   

“Where  is the  fisherman’s  body’’,  the  captain  bellowed.      “We  laid  the  body  right here  it’s no longer here  captain?”  one  of  the  man  answered  back. “What?” he screamed  and  went  to see  for himself.  There  was  no body,  how  was  this possible the  captain  thought  to himself.