FOLKTALES

Have  you  ever  heard  tales  as  a  child  that    made  you  scared  out  of  your  wits  or  were  just downright  unrealistic  and  weird.  Do  you  think  these  tales      were  too  gruesome  to  be  told  to children.  Well  here  are  some  of  the  stories  that  I  have  heard  as  a  child.  Please  be  mindful  that all  of  these stories  do  not  belong  to  me.  You  may  have  heard  these  exact  stories  or  different  versions of  them.

THE PET

Once  there  lived  a  poor  farmer  who  had  a  wife  and  two  children  ,  a  boy  who  was  eight  years  old and  a  six  year  old  daughter.  They  resided  in  a  small  village.  Despite  being  so  poor  the  farmer never  tried  to  earn  money  through  wrong  tricks.  He  considered  this  as  a  sin  and  an  act  against his  beliefs.  He  was  also  known  to  be  an  honest  person.  One  day  when  he  went  to  his  well  to  get some  water and  looked  into  the  well    he  saw  that  instead  of  water  there  was  thick  mud  in  it and  on  the  surface  of  the  mud  lay  a  black  snake.  The  snake's  body  was  slender  and  narrow  and very  long. 

He  was  at  first  intrigued  by  its  appearance  but  the  snake  didn't  seem  to  be  bothered by  his  presence.  The  farmer  knew  the  serpent  was  no  good  than  water  and  yet  he  went  into  the well  and  caught  it  by  the  back  of  its  head.  The  snake  stayed  still  even  when  he  took  it  into  his house.  He  showed  the  creature  to  his  wife  and  she  found  it  to  be  extraordinary,  it  was  nothing like  the  serpants  found  in  the  forest.  She  became  quite  fearful  of  it  and  told  him  to  get  rid  of  it. The  farmer  claimed  the  snake  was  quite  and  probably  harmless  but  the  wife  was  adamant  that it  was  dangerous. 

The  farmer  placed   it  in  a  secured  jar  which  had  access  to  air  and  allowed the  snake  to  move  its  body.  A  month  passes  the  serpent's  body  grew  longer  and  filled  the  jar, the  farmer  placed  the serpent  in  a  bigger  jar.  Some  time  later  the  jar  became  too  small  to  hold  its body  in it.  The  farmer  began  to  place  it  in  different  jars  and  the  time  came  when  the  serpent  had outgrown  every  jar  in  the  house.  Despite  being  so  enormous  the  snake  was  really  gentle  and calm.  The  farmer's  wife  saw  this  too  and  believed  that  it  was  harmless. 

The  snake  now  slithered freely  around  the  house  and  the  children  were  extremely  fond  of  it.  The  farmer  found  it  strange that  the  creature  did  not  demand  for  food  and  never  showed  any  signs  of  hunger  since  they brought  it.  Thus  the  serpent  was  never  fed.

One  day  when  the  wife  was  cooking  in  the    kitchen  while  the  farmer  was  working  in  the  field and the  children  were  playing  in  the  room  with  the  serpent.  She suddenly    heard  the  children scream  as  she  ran  to  the  room  she  saw  the  serpent  devouring  her  son,  his  tiny  leg  were  sticking out  of  the  monster's  mouth.  In  a  split  second  it  swallowed  the  child's  body  entirely.  The  poor women  watched  helplessly  as  the  outline  of  her  son's    body  which  was  visible  on  the  snakes chest and it slowly  slided down  to  its  belly.  The  serpents  eyes  were  red  and  raging  with  anger  and  it began  to  move  towards  her.  She  grabbed  her  daughter  and  ran  out  of  the  house.  She  ran  as  fast  as  she  can  into  the  field  and  found  the  farmer.  She  told  him  everything  through  sobs.  The  snake had  followed  her  and  now  raised  its  head.  It  looked  dangerous  and  angry. "You  fools,  why  are  you  running  now?,  Did  you  really  think  that  you  would  keep  me  without food  for  so  many  days  and  I  will  not  be  hungry",  It  sneered  in  a  human  voice.  The  farmer realized  it  was  not  an  ordinary  snake  but  a  demon  who  has  claimed  his  son's  life.  He  began  to beg  for  mercy  from  the  serpent"Please  spare  us,  you  may  eat  all  these  cattle  but  please  spare me  and  my  family",    he  cried.  This  infuriated  the  snake  and  it  moved  towards  them  swiftly.  " You  pathetic  man,  this  cattle  will  not  sustain  my  hunger.  I  only  feed  on  human  flesh.  I  WILL FEED  ON YOUR FAMILY!", the  demon screamed  and    snatched  the  girl  from  the  woman's  hands. It  immediately  swallowed  the  child.  The  woman's  misery  was  beyond  explaination.  She screeched  at  the  sight.  The  farmer  grabbed  her  and  made  a  run  for  it.  They  ran  towards  the villagers  and  told  them  everything.