SIN TO THE BRIM

The following story contains content based on  violence  and racism.

  In  1948  Gold  City  had  a  population  of  2000  including  some  immigrants  who  had  migrated  from other  parts  of  the  country  and  settled  in  the  outskirts  of  the  city.  Most  of  them  came  to  work  in the mine. This  city  could  have  been  a  lot  more  prosperous  and  peaceful  but  racial  intimidation  and daily bullying  were  contributing  to  the  city's gradual  demise.

The  law  abiding  was  concerned  that  if the  situation  if  not  controlled,  soon  a  born  fire  would  erupt  and  the  law  less  were  eagerly  waiting for  that day.

A  handful  of  the  original  settlers  who  believed  that  they  were  the  descendants  of  the  crusaders and  called  themselves  "The  Warriors  of  the Lord".This  handful  had  inducted  their  descendants well  and  the  descendants  followed  the  cause  with  equal  fever.

  In  1948  they  were  as  motivated  as their  ancestors.  Although  small  in  number  they  always  had  their  way.  The  people  running  the city  seemed to be  the silent supporters of  their  cause. On  a  cold  December  night  fifteen  of  the  supremacists  armed  themselves  and  headed  towards settlement  which  was  occupied  by  the  immigrants,  it  was  time  to  teach  them  a  lesson. 

Their official  reason  was  that  the  immigrants  stole  their  jobs  and  were  a  threat  to  their  lifestyles.  The truth was that the  immigrants were  hated because the  almighty  had over tinted their  skins. Tod  and  Nadine  a  young  couple  was  neither  immigrant  nor  from  the  settlement,  they  were seasonal  workers  just  passing  through  the  Gold  City.  Being  in  the  wrong  place  at  the  wrong  time can  be  dangerous,  but  having  dark  skin  and  being  on  the  collision  course  with  highly  motivated racists  could  be  fatal.  Some  might  say  it  was  Gods  will,  some  may  say  it  was  Gods  punishment; some may  not bring  God  into this because God loves all.

Some may  leave  this to fate. The  warriors  surrounded  the  couple  like  snarling  wolves.  Tod  had  heard  a  few  stories  about  the supremacists  and  was  aware  of  the  danger...  Tod  and  Nadine  were  not  easily  scared;  years  of travelling  around  the  country  looking  for  jobs  had  given them  courage. Three  of  the  group  stayed  back  to  handle  Tod  and  Nadine  while  others  proceeded  to  the settlement.  Tod  tried  to  talk  to  them  but  was  knocked  down  by  a  black  hand  delivered  by  largest of  the  three  he  had  the  clout  of  a  blacksmith...  They  frog  marched  the  couple  some  distance  away under  a  tree.

They  three  were  laughing,  cursing  and  mocking  while  addressing  each  other  openly by  first  names.  The  big  brute  was  Brett,  Bernard  was  slim  one  who  wore  glasses  and  there  was Judy  who  had  the  face  of  an  angel.  Their  openness  in  addressing  each  other  by  first  names warned  Tod  that  they  may  not  be  leaving  any  witnesses.  Tod  decided  if  this  is  the  end,  then  they should  try  to  run,  may  be  bullets  in  the  back  will  be  better  way  to  go.  Tod  tried  to  get  the  trios attention,  he  began  to  plead  and  talk  loudly  to  them.  When  he  felt  he  had  their  undivided
attention  he  looked  at  Nadine  and  shouted 

“RUN”. 

Nadine  bolted  like  anyone  would  bolt  under similar  situation.  Before  Tod  could  fully  complete  his  shout  a  kick  from  Brett  sent  him sprawling,  without  any  spoken  word  Bernard  ran  after  Nadine  and  Judy  started  the  jeep  made  a  u turn and went after  Bernard.  It looked like  they  had done  this a few times in the past.