FORGOTTEN

My  name  is  21;  at  least  that  is  what  they  call  me.  I  live  in  a  dusky  dark  small  room.  There  is  a small  window on the  wall and on the  opposite side  of the  room there  is  a  bolted door.  I  have  been in  this  place  for  a  very  long  time  I  don’t  remember  where  I  was  before  coming  here.  Sometimes  I hear  voices  outside  the  door  they  would  say  words  that  make  no  sense  such  as  “sunny  day”, “charge  sheet”,  “lockout”.  Today  I  heard  a  chirping  sound  coming  from  the  window,  the  light casted a  shadow of  a  bird  on the wall.  

It  was  sitting  right  on  the  window  seal,  I  wanted  to  get  up  and  see  what  type  bird  this  was.  But the  shackles  that  held  me  in  place  were  too  short  so  I  just  sat  there  and  wondered  what  must  be outside  the  window.  Maybe  there  is  a  tree  with  the  nest  where  the  bird  lives  or  there  must  be  a garden. 

The  door  suddenly  shakes  and  the  voice  screams  “hey  21,  its  time  to  eat”,  the  tiny  flap  at the  bottom  of  the  door  opens  as  the  tray  is  pushed  in    towards  me  there  is  a  dish  on  the  tray which contains some  lumps of  sour bitter meat.   This  is  the  meal  I  have  day  in  day  out.  I  take  a  mouthful  of  the  content  it  tastes  awful  but  I  am very  hungry  so  I  finish  eating  it  all  after  all  L  am  fed  only  once  a  week.

I  push  the  tray  out  of  the door  flap  and  I  hear  it  being  collected,  I  get  up  slowly  and  walk  towards  the  sink  near  me  and have  a  good  long  drink  of  water  from  the  tap.  Maybe  someday  they  will  let  me  out;  maybe someday  they  will  feel pity  on me. 

I  have  never  seen  another  person;  I  wonder  how  they  must  be.  I  don’t  even  know  what  those people  look  like  who  hold  me  captive  are  there  other  people  out  there  or  is  it  just  them,  do  they all  want  to  keep  me  captive?  What  is  my  fault?  Why  is  everyone  like  this?  I  am  yearning  for  the day  when  this  door  will  open;  I  am  yearning  for  the  day  when  I  will  look  outside  this  window.

The  days  roll  by  and  I  hear  the  same  voices  by  the  door,  the  same  chirping  at  the  window  and  I have  the same meal.  I  have  consoled myself that  I am a forgotten  aspect of  the outside  world.