chapter 4 :: Nothing But Trouble

[Samantha's Point Of View]

My hands were shaking as I tried to open the front door, if they caught me with the alien in my house, I would be dead, literally.Beside the fact that they looked so official and it seemed like a dangerous matter. I also had the sudden urge to flee, pretend like I left and the alien find my cabin and decided to live there while I wasn't there. Yet, I chose another option, which is lying.

“Hello.” I cleared my dry throat, looking at the men that were standing in front of me. They all looked serious, even a policeman stood with them.

“Sorry to disturb you ma'am, but it's a serious matter.” The man dressed in white lab coat started, pushing his glasses. “Can you look at this picture and tell me if you recognize this alien?”

I shakily took the paper from him; where a printed picture of the alien that is living with me was on it, except that his hair was a little longer. On the top of the picture the word 'WANTED' was written in big, bold letters.

I swallowed my saliva and quickly shook my head. “No.”

“If you see him anywhere, please call 911 and let us know. He responds to the name Justin, we believe it's his first name.” The man explained. “We're sorry to disturb you again.”

“It's alright,” I assured, my leg muscles tightening. “I will let you know if I, uhm, find him.”

They nodded and turned on their heels to leave. I sighed in relief and was about to shut the door closed but I heard something fall with a loud thud, then a bunch of glass breaking. The men turned back, a suspicious look on their faces.

“It's probably a raccoon, it happens a lot.” I explained with a nervous chuckle. “I will go, to see what happened.” I flashed one last smile before closing the door.

I made a quick trip to the kitchen, I knew this wasn't a raccoon, it was probably the alien since all the windows were closed. I let a gasp escape my mouth in shock when my eyes laid on my parents' broken china set scattered on the floor. The alien, Justin or whatever was his name, was rummaging through my fridge, trying to find food.

Justin!” I screamed in anger, breathing deeply. Justin's head turned to me, trying to keep a straight face but failing. I didn't find this funny, at all. “You––I'm saving you ass! It's fucking hard––ugh!” I screamed at him, pulling at the ends of my hair. Justin avoided the eye contact as he tried to control his laughter.

I gestured with my hand for him to wait a minute, he nodded his head and turned back to trying to find food in my fridge. I grabbed the baseball bat that I kept in my kitchen and turned to him angrily. I walked to him quietly so he couldn't hear me. Once I reached him, I tapped his butt with the bat not too hard. Justin turned around and his eyes widened at the bat. His eyes darted between me and the bat, flinching at any noise that was outside.

“Get out now.” I said calmly, trying to keep my cool. “I can't handle you, you're nothing but trouble to me. My parents sent me here to be away from your people, my family might go to jail because of you!” I yelled through my gritted teeth. “You're obviously in trouble with humans. You will bring trouble to me. I can give you money and you get out and do whatever you want.” I suggested, finding the solution good. For the second time, the alien dropped to his knees and clasped his hand in front of him.

“Please.” I heard his shaky voice.

“You said this before,” I dropped the bat to my side. “You can't do that then go behind my back and not listen to me.”

He wiped his eyes with the sleeve of the shirt I gave him and rose up to his feet. He leaned on my counter and turned around, his head hanging low.

“You're making me feel bad about it again, aren't you?” I exclaimed, my lips curling in a smile as I watched him doing his little acting. “You wanna stay?”

He immediately turned around, his eyes full of hope that I'd say yes and let him stay. “Start with gathering the pieces of the glass.” When he scrunched his face, I knew he didn't get what I was saying. “Clean the floor. From now on, you will be helping me in order to pay me back. Got it?” The alien nodded his head quickly and dropped to the floor, he started gathering the pieces together in a corner.

“Do you understand what I’m saying, most of the time?” I questioned, taking out a stool and sitting on it. The alien shot me an innocent pout and shook his head. “You don't know English well because you're young, right?” He gave me a nod and returned to cleaning the floor.

“You can't touch anything unless you ask me, okay?” I told him, he responded by nodding his head, his eyes carefully looking at me. The silver shapes appeared again, this time the color was stronger. He dropped his gaze to the floor and crawled to another place to clean the floor from the broken glass. I will have to lie to my parents anyways about it, it's their fault that they kept the china in the cabin.

One thing that I absolutely admired about him; it wasn't his personality or a character, it was his eyes. I've always loved staring into their eyes––as creepy as it might sound––but the fact that they had silver shapes amazed me to the max. It was entertaining looking at their eyes and finding different looking shapes and lines. I was even more curious about another thing, the silver shapes in Justin's eyes sometimes disappeared, fading into the brownness of his eyes.