Ch.1- Last One There Is A ...

"Ready, set, GO!"

We all dashed off on our boards. Jumping onto things and swooshing past angry business men. I pushed off the ground harder trying to get ahead of everyone.

We dodged cars did stunts remembering to wave at Mrs. Brought as we passed the bakery.

Dyno was the first to make it to the beach. Me following him, behind me was Aliyah followed by Steve , Jay and lastly Sammie.

Steve sat in the sand, trying to catch his breath.

Jay reached in his backpack and handed us all beers.

Aliyah went to sit in between Dyno's legs while the rest if us made ourselves comfortable.

I sipped my beer, gazing over at the ocean, the sun making the water seem to glisten.

"Come on," Sammie started, tucking a stray lock of strawberry blonde hair behind her ear, " Play something."

As Jay pulled out his Bluetooth speaker, Steve starts to pull out his phone.

"Hell no." I say, taking out my phone. "Let me play something."

Steve rolled his eyes but proceeded to do as I asked.

The soothing sound of The Neighbourhood's Daddy Issues start to play from the speaker.

"So .. What's today?" Dyno asks.

"Well, it is that thing at Myron's later." I suggested.

Dyno scrunched his nose up. " You wanna go to that thing?"

"We don't got shit else to do." Aliyah states, lighting up a cigarette.
"Fine. We crash it." Dyno confirmed.

This was my group. A group of nit-picked misfits that found a family in each other. It started when I was only twelve.

It was inconspicuously the worst day of my life, but it would take me a little while to figure out that I would be okay.

*************
I was in my old home in Michigan with my little sister, Ashley.

Our Mom and Dad were out to go get food, per usual. We didn't keep a lot of food in the house. Remember I'm only twelve, watching over my seven year old sister. So imagine my complete shock and horror when I get a phone call from someone who knows my maiden name and is telling my my parents got caught in the middle of a gang dispute and were killed.

My twelve year old mind was too shocked to do anything but cry even though the officer on the other line was asking me a barrage of questions.

Now fastfoward the 13 days of staying at my sickley grandmother's home and trying to help my family plan my parents funeral.

It's the day of the funeral. Me and my poor , confused little sister wallow in the corner. Next thing we knew a tall, muscular woman was folding us into her arms comforting us. I don't really know why, but being in her arms just made us feel safe I guess.

We cried and sobbed in her arms for ten minutes before I regained my senses, I stepped away and wiped my eyes.

I was about to say something, but then Ashley started crying even harder if that was even possible.

Its not easy when you're seven years old and are being told you can never see mommy and daddy ever again.

I reached over and grabbed her, pulling into my embrace.

The lady looked at us sympathetically, then she spoke.

"Everything's gonna be okay." She declared, "I'll make sure of it."

And the rest, as they say, is history.