Ch.19- Dangerous Temptations

-McKENZIE's P.O.V-

   There's a lot that goes into basically kidnapping your little brothers. There's a lot of things you have to consider, if all goes right and you get away with it. Like school. How will you register two little boys whose names are probably in the system as MISSING to a public school? Like clothes and food. How will we all, off of Megan's $16 an hour, sustain clothes and food for an everyday basis?

  It's ways around all things like that.

   I would rather figure out a way around those situations any day over situations liked: How will those little boys ever forget what they had to endure through from the hands of their own father? Or like What happened to Matthew and Ethan? They were fine little boys, now they're reckless and traumatized.

   I laid in bed, staring at the ceiling when there was a small knock on my door.

  "Come in," I told the person on the other side.

   Matthew peeked his head in and smiled. His short chestnut hair was longer than when I left, but his ocean blue eyes, that we all got from our mom, were the same as any old day I remember. From the good times to the bad, he was still my same baby brother.

  "Hey, Matt-Mack," I grinned. I really have missed all this. I wish things wouldn't have to be like this and we could all be a family again like before mom died.

   He came and sat next to me on the edge of my bed. It's funny how big and grown-up he is now. I've only been gone for not even a year yet but he seemed drastically different already.

   "What's up?" I encouraged him.

    "We missed you a lot. We were scared at first, but we realized you weren't in any trouble anywhere or anything. You wanted to get away for along time. After that night, we realized you just finally did it," He looked me dead in the eye the whole time.

  I stared in shock, but not saying a word to interrupt. I let my not-so-baby brother finish.

  "For a long time I didn't believe it. I didn't want to think you were in trouble or hurt, but I also didn't want to think you left us without even saying anything. You could've told us at least."

I couldn't hear anymore. I sat up and pulled him to my chest. Willing my tears to stay at bay. I took a deep breath and stoked his slightly-longer-hair.

   "I'm so sorry Matthew. I just wish I did things differently but I-"

He moved out of my embrace and cut me off.

  "I'm not mad," he said it so simply and returned his gaze back to mine, intensely.

  "You don't have to be scared about dad, if you are. He told us all the time he wishes we would fuck off to wherever the hell you ran off to-"

  "Matthew!" He was shocking me more and more every second this conversation went on.

  "His words, sis, not mine," he grinned mischievously, reminding me of the little boy I remember.

  "Anyway, I told him in the letter that's exactly what we were doing. I didn't tell him exactly where we were going though, don't worry. The point is he knows we're safe and we're with you."

  I don't know how to feel about any of this. Initially I'm relieved. I'm sooo relieved. Apparently, there's things on their part of this situation that I was not aware of. Things that if I were aware, would have  saved me lots of stress and turmoil. Things that Samantha, my so called ally back home, didn't know. So I am, secondarily, peed off at my waste of emotions.