Ch.15- Karma, You Dirty B..

-McKENZIE's P.O.V-

   I watched out the window as Alex pulled off. I sighed and ran my hands over my face. I hated that. I hated that soooo bad. Alex had never been so cold and distant with me. It was so awful that I almost told her everything.

    I kicked my shoes off at the door. The house was empty and quiet and the sun was beginning to set.

  I went to my room and flopped on the bed with a sigh. I would have to sleep alone tonight for the first time in a while. The thought saddened me. The last thing I wanted to do was leave Alex, especially when I knew she was so upset. But, I didn't want to upset her anymore or for Samantha to keep calling and then mess everything up.

  Right! I pulled out my phone, remembering I had to call Samantha back.

   "McKenzie? What the hell? I called you like five times!" She shouted dramatically when she answered.

   "Sorry, Sam. I was with my girlfriend. I didn't want her to hear anything and get suspicious."

   "Yadda, yadda, ya,"she dismissed, "You know what I was contemplating?We realize: If this all goes to shit. I'm the one that's going to go to jail. For kidnapping! We're eighteen now, loser, I'm gonna get real time!"

  "Sam, shut up!" I cut her off with a sigh, "If you're having second thoughts, you don't have to. I'm sure we can figure something else out..."

  "No, no! I'm okay, this is for you and your brothers," She reminded, "Let's just go over the plan one more time," she took a shaky breath.

  "Alright, so Monday Morning. Matthew and Ethan will fill their backpacks with all their valuables and clothes. Before they leave out for school, Matthew will leave a note to my dad claiming they've runaway. At 3:45 p.m you pick them up from school, take them to the bus station. Put them on the 4:00 bus to California. Matthew will know when to get off, he's smart. Megan and I will pick them up from the bus station and our plan has been a success." I explained strictly.

  "So what if your dad reads the note early and goes to get them from school?" She asked. I scoffed,

   "They will be halfway to California before he even realizes they are gone long enough to check their room."

"Alright." She took a shaky breath.

"Samantha relax. If all goes wrong we will never tell anyone you helped. Trust me?" I spoke above a whisper.

  "Okay, I trust you," I could picture the exact face she was making right now, "Hey, Kenz? When am I going to be able to see you again?"

  I smiled bitterly, genuinely missing my friend more than ever, "Whenever you want, Sam. It's not like you don't know where I am," I tried to joke.

    "Alright, loser. I gotta go. Talk later?"

"Definitely," I agreed as she ended the call.

I flopped back on my bed. Yes. I was planning on potentially kidnapping my little brothers. Yes. I am a crazy.

  Well to be fair, it wasn't just me. Megan was doing it, too. I know this was completely risky and stupid and a whole lot of other words, that's why I'm keeping it a secret. Especially from Alex. I know if she were to hear one word about this, she would do everything to stop me, preaching about how there's a better way. Trust me, I thought of all the other ways. They all have at least one of the following four problems: too much money, too much time, a broken nose, or my brothers being placed in the system. All things we couldn't tolerate.