Ch.4- Floating

We pulled up to the Paintball Arena and everyone got out.

Walking besides McKenzie, the back of our hands brushed slightly against eachothers. I glanced at her but she continued to look ahead.

Chantelle talked to the lady at the front desk while the rest of us looked through the giant window at the arena.

It was set up like some kind of war zone with long grass and large boulders sparsely placed around. The whole arena was huge.

"Have you been here before?" McKenzie questioned. I shook my head.

"What about you?" I asked.

"I used to take my little brothers paintballing all the time back in Indiana." Her tone turned regretful and her eyes turned a darker blue.

It was that moment when I realized, McKenzie was hiding something. She was hiding something that was hurting her alot. But I mean, why should I care? I barely even know her.

I decided to change the subject.

"Well that's all I need to hear. You're on my team." I smirked at her and her expression softened as she was pulled from her wayward thoughts.

Ashley stepped up. "That means I'm on Chantelle's team? Sweet!"

As the instructor showed us how to put on the armor and stuff she explained the rules.

"Today you will be competing in the Stone Quest. There's 5 teams of two and each team has their team colored stone at their base. One person should stay at base and protect their stone while the other scouts to collect the other stones. The first team to collect all four stones and bring them back to their base, is the winner." The perky blonde instructed. "Any shots to the arms and legs should delay you 30 seconds. Chest and stomach 60 seconds. No head shots allowed or your team will be disqualified. Any questions? "

I looked around at my competitors. Kenzie and I were the red team, Chantelle and Ashley were blue.
Yellow team consisted of a tall broad guy with sandy hair and a less broad, but just as tall guy with black hair.
Purple team was a blonde girl and blonde guy, who I'm pretty sure are siblings. Lastly was the green team, a very large woman with short, spiky hair and an older dark guy.

"Well, let's get started." She responded to the silence.

Each team had a map of the Arena, a small black backpack and 2 extra clips with 150 rounds each, and two color coded walkie-talkies.

This was really exciting and I was eager to compete with these people. I'm really competitive.

As we went to our base I gave her the plan.

"Okay since this is my first time playing, I'll stay and protect our stone. You go out and get the rest."

She looked at me and shook her head.
"No no no. I should be the one protecting the stone, it's the harder task, Genius." She grabbed the map from me and opened it in front of us.
"We're here." She pointed to the small red dot on the map. " The bases are basically just forming a circle around the whole arena. Start by going east and get the green stone." McKenzie explained as I listened intently. She sounded like she knew what she was doing. " Then just stay low around the edge of the arena and get purple, yellow, blue and then you should come back to our base from the west." She looked at me for confirmation. I nodded.

"Now that's the easy part" she warned, " The hard part is trying not to get shot and getting the stones from the other bases. You're on your own for that. Just try to be quick and quiet. The best way is to just take out the guy at the base before trying to grab the stone."