Ch.16- What A Conundrum

-ALEX's P.O.V-

It was 5:13 p.m and I had just clocked out. I was kind of in a conundrum. I would usually go pick up Kenzie right now. I want to pick up Kenzie right now. But ...

I also didn't. I know she was lying to me. But what she was lying about remained open for interpretation.

In the end I decided, she's already acting different, I didn't need to give her anymore reasons to lie or cheat or whatever she's doing.

I just slid into the wrangler and went to go pick her up. I pulled up in front of her house and called her. She picked up on the third ring.

"Hello? Baby?" She sounded like she was waiting on my call.

"Hey." I would usually add a cute nickname, but I wasn't in the mood, " I'm outside... I mean if you wanted to chill."

"I didn't think you wanted to see me today. Of course I wanna chill with you, Alex," she sounded like she was biting her lip in that cute little nervous habit of hers.

I didn't say anything and she stuttered, "Uh o-okay. I'll just um, come out th-, now. Okay?"

"Okay, then," I hung up and shook my head. That was fucking weird. I felt a little panic rise in my chest. This is how it felt right before all my other relationships ended. Are we about to break up?

I tried to act as if I wasn't bothered by my thoughts as McKenzie stepped out the house. She had on a tight yellow tank top dark blue short shorts. She was doing a bad job at stifling her grin.

"Hey," She chirped as she slid into the passengers seat.

"What's up," I nodded in acknowledgment as I pulled off.

I said nothing else. I noticed McKenzie burning a whole in the side of my face as she stared at me the whole drive. Still, I kept my eyes on the road and said nothing.

I pulled into the driveway and walked straight up to my room after tossing Chantelle's keys on the counter. McKenzie trailed closely behind me.

In my room I pulled my visor and uniform shirt off, shaking my hair around to get that untamed look. After I had changed my clothes I finally looked at McKenzie.

She was sitting on the bed with her arms folded, watching me sadly and silently. She looked so adorable I almost laughed. Almost.

She noticed me looking at her, "Alex? Can you talk to me?" She whined.

Sitting on the bed a good distance away from her, I licked my lips, "Who's Sam, McKenzie?" I asked her lowly.

She looked at me and I can see the hesitation clear in her eyes before her shoulders sagged and she looked at the ground.

"Sam is a friend from back home," she barely spoke above a whisper.

I looked at her demeanor, the fear and conflict in her eyes. She didn't want to tell me. I wasn't about to make her. I left it at that and went to the closet for my shoe box. I needed something to ease the panic that continued to grasp my chest.

"I-It's not like that, baby. I promise you. Can you just trust me?" She was behind me and her voice rose as she became frustrated.

  "So why do you keep lying? Why didn't you answer the phone? Why did you leave me last night? Why don't you want to tell me who it is?" I loudly bombarded her with all these questions

  "I-I .. B-Because- you uh.."I noticed the tears welling up in her eyes, "I promise. It's not like that."

  Now I felt like a dick for making her cry. I groaned loudly. I wanna punch something.
I wrapped her into my arms and took a breath to calm my nerves as she sniffled into my shoulder.