Ch.6- Past, Present and Future

-McKENZIE'S P.O.V-

I gave Alex a sad smile and a wave before she drove off. I sighed.

Well, back to reality.

I rung the doorbell three times so my sister would know it's me. A few seconds later I hear her unlocking the four locks on the other side of the door.

She opened the door and boy, was she not happy.

"Fucking seriously, McKenzie?!" She grabbed my arm and roughly pulled me into the house, quickly locking the doors back. I shrugged her off and rubbed my arm.

"Could you chill! I bruise really easily." I complained to her. She turned to me.

"Chill?!" She sounds hysterical, " You tell me you want to stay here to get away from him, then you just disappear on me for freaking 3 days! And I'm supposed to just chill?"

I roll my eyes. Of course, I can count on Megan to be over freaking dramatic. Nothing has changed from when we were kids.

"I texted you I was staying at a friend's house." I mumbled.

"Oh yeah, and what freaking friends do you have? You barely been here a week!" She shrieked. I cringed. Why were the people in my family so loud?

"I met some friends, Megan. Is it freaking impossible to meet friends?" I was annoyed at her over protective behavior, " And I'm 18 for Pete's Sake! Do I have a curfew or something? Do I have to report back to you before the street lights come on?" I sighed.

"Well excuse me for being worried about my only little sister!"

Yikes, now I felt like a jerk. Megan and I never argued and I definitely didn't want to start now. So I took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry. You're right, I'm sorry." I said lowly. Her face softened.

"I'm sorry too. I just promised myself to keep you safe, Kenz. I can't do that if I don't know where you are." She sounded sad, so I pulled her in for a hug.

"And you are keeping me safe. Just being here I'm safer now than I was in the last 6 years." I reassured her bitterly. She relaxed into the hug and nodded before pulling back.

"Thanks. But now ...." she seemed to be back to normal, "Who exactly where you with?" She tilted her head. I grinned secretly to myself.

I had a girlfriend.

  I can't say I didn't see that coming. Girls are so pretty it hurts. And boys are just boys. But I never thought a girl would actually be interested in me. Or that one would make my heart flutter every time she smirked at me.

"Well remember that guy Jace I told you I met at Walmart?" I decided I would tell her something, but not everything. I'm not sure how she would react to me being gay.

Wait, I'm gay?? Well, obviously.

Megan nodded, overly eager to hear about my whereabouts.

"Well I went to a party with him on Friday, I thought it would be a good way to meet friends my age and stuff." I shrugged, "And I did. I've just been hanging with them all weekend." I tried to be nonchalant.

She nodded, seeming to believe it. I mean, it wasn't really even a lie. Just not the full truth. I filed off in my brain to tell her soon.

  "Well, now that you're back, I have some news. Good or bad, depends how you take it."

I arched an eyebrow, interested.

"Mona wants to take me to a conference in New York so I can see how the corporate department works." She said with a hint on excitement. I think she was trying to see how I would react. Of course, I was ecstatic. I would be able to spend more time with Alex.  And of course my sister got a promotion, too.