Chapter 3: Hints and Trails

-------------------------

It was now morning, the sun tried to pierce through your curtains. You laid motionless on your bed, you were too tired to move. You couldn't sleep again, dream after dream they would come back. And every time you'd try to look at your surroundings you wouldn't get far before losing your control and collapsing again. And every time you'd wake up you'd find your nightlight on the ground covered in soot.

Buzz buzz

You're eyes landed on your phone that was vibrating. Sighing you pick up and glare at the brightness of the screen, it was Alex. They texted you ask if the nightlight worked, you sighed in exhaustion before calling them.

"Morning (Y/N)," they said happily. "Did the nightlight work?"

You let out a groan and flipped over on your back.

"I'm taking that as a no," They said worryingly. "What happened?"

"Same dreams as usual, and when I woke up the nightlight was on the ground," you said as you stared at the barely visible trail of soot on the ground.

"How did the nightlight get on the ground?" They asked somewhat concerned.

"Beats me, I'd just wake up and find it on the ground," you huffed. "Oh, and its covered in soot. Like my floor"

"That's unnerving," they said slowly. "Did you have the window locked?"

"Yeah, I made sure of it and it's still locked," you said as you looked at the window. "At this point I just hope it's some guy coming into my room to do drugs cause that would explain the weird dreams"

"Funny," they laughed dryly. "Anyways, I'll be there in a bit. So get dressed, we're going to get to the bottom of this"

"Right," you groaned.

"I'll be there in five," they said. "Bye, see you in a bit"

"Bye," you said and hung up.

Yawning you walked to your closet before deciding on what to wear. Maybe something comfortable? Jeans and shirt or legging and a sweater or maybe something else? You just shrugged before getting something and pulling it on. You grabbed a thin jacket and boots and made your way downstairs. Your dad was in the kitchen cooking while your mom was looking through the TV.

"Morning sweetie," your dad greeted you and handed you a plate of food. You hummed in return and sat down to eat.

"Good morning (Y/N)," your mother greeted as she turned around to look at you, her black hair flipping behind her back. You waved before another yawn erupted from your throat. "Tired?"

You nodded before you began to eat off your plate. You father let out out a few "tsks" before turning around to face both of you.

"You know that just because this is your first few weeks of school that it doesn't mean your allowed to be sleeping so late," he reminded you but you could tell he was worried, he concerned expression gave it away. "10:30 is your bed time"

You smiled and nodded, "I know that, but thanks for the reminder dad"

You father shot finger guns at you before returning to cooking. You wondered why you father was making eggs and bacon when you all had eaten already. Did he want seconds?

"These are for Alex," he said turning around to set the plate down besides you. He ran a hand through his blond hair, and gave you a smile. "Do you think they'll like them?"

"I'm sure they would enjoy it," you smiled.

"That's good, I wasn't too sure about it," your father laughs.