Chapter 27: A Clash Between Light and Dark

————————

You stared at the ceiling, feeling alert for some reason. You haven't been able to fall asleep for some time now. You glanced at the digital clock that stayed on the table besides your bed. In glaring red number it read 11:23 pm. You frowned, it was getting late and you really didn't want to stay up. You lifted your head up slightly, eyeing the clipboard that you used to communicate with a ghost.

You rubbed your face. Even just thinking about what happened embarrassed you to no end. You sat, swinging your feet over the edge of the bed. Maybe a nice cup of (almond) milk will help you sleep.

You set the cup of milk into the kitchen sink, satisfied with your midnight drink. You walked back up the stairs, making sure not to make too much noise, you wouldn't want to wake up your parents. You shivered as an unsettling chill ran up your spine, part of you figured that it was the guy with blue eyes but... it didn't feel like him at all. You shook your head, still trying to convince yourself that what had happened an hour ago was just a result of the weather somehow. You sighed and opened your door, as you were about to step inside you noticed the sudden sense of dread wash over your body.

Your room felt dangerous, eerie even. The shadows seemed to stretch and reach for you. You took a sudden step back as something caught your eye. In the shadows was something, something large. Two pairs of golden orbs shined in the dark corners of your room. A huff, and then they began to move. You were frozen stiff, unsure of what to make of things. Two horses, made of black... sand...? Two horses step out of the shadows, their golden eyes staring right at you.

"Wh... wha...," you voice seemed caught in your throat. What was going on?! How did horses get into your room-

You're in danger.
I'm here to help.

You swallowed back your fear. So maybe you shouldn't have brushed off the blue eyes so quickly. Now you really wish that you were dreaming.

The horses looked at each other briefly, before charging straight at you. You let a sharp gasp, bringing your hands up to cover your face. You stayed still despite being scared of what was going to happen to you.

The impact of the horses ramming into you knocked the wind out of you. They towered over you, golden eyes glaring and scheming. Your hands immediately flew up to push away the horses. One stomped near your head, making you freeze. You wanted to scream but your body seemed to be stuck on autopilot. The one above you bit your shirt, pulling you up and towards the window. The other horse reeled it's hind legs up and kicked the window. Part of you expected a shatter but there was only the knocking of your window being opened instead. That horse flew out, urging for the other horse to hurry up. You struggled as the horse pulled to the window.

"... no..!" Your voice was failing you, Small whimpers left your throat as your body neared the window. The cold bitter bite of the night seemed to bring you back to your senses. "NO!"

Your voice was loud, and demanding. Your eyes shut tight as you failed to notice your hair seem to float slightly and your body glow briefly. Your body glowed white, your hair floated and the horse let you go. It all happened to quickly, in a blink it was over.

You heard a high pitched shriek as the horses seemed to turn white and start to dust away. You fell on your bottom, looking up at the withering horses. They were turning white, their body's seemed to glitter as the shadows seemed to pull back from your room. With one last shriek the horses dissolved, dropping into a pile of glittering dust on your floor. Adrenaline rushed through your system as you slowly stood up. You watched the pile intensely, scared that the horses would pop back up and attack you again.

"(Y/N)! Honey where are you?!" Your mother's voice snapped you out of your gaze. Your father was the first one to enter your room, baseball bat in hand.

"What's going on here?!" Your parents seemed just a scared as you were. They both weren't aware of what had happened just them, the only thing they saw was you on the ground and the widow wide open. Your mother immediately engulfed you in a hug, asking you questions and checking you to make sure that everything was alright. You watched as your father inspected your window, checking to see if someone had forced entry.

"(Y/N), honey- what happened? Are you alright? We heard you scream- it scared us awake!" You mother sobbed.

"Why is your window open? Did someone break in? What happened sweetheart- please tell us," your father begged, kneeling besides you.

"I... I had a nightmare...," you lied. Your mother seemed to ease up. She looked relieved, which made you feel bad for lying.

"But your window-"

"I forgot to lock it shut... I'm sorry," you lied again. You father sighed, the tense look on his body easing up.

"It's alright honey, we're just glad you're okay... you really gave us a scare there," your mother joked, hoping to ease up the tension. Your parents stayed up, bringing you down to the living room in hopes of helping you forget your 'nightmare.'

Why did you lie? Was it because it was too unbelievable to tell them that it was horses trying to kidnap you and that why your window was open? Or was it because you were already trying to convince yourself that what you saw were hallucinations?

.
.
.

"Alex!" North yelled, his hand reaching for Alex.

Alex laid on the back of a night mare horse, asleep and having nightmares. North didn't have time to react before another nightmare horse rammed into his back. North suddenly regretted not bringing Tooth with him. He was being overwhelmed and there's no way he would make it out at this rate.

"Pitch you coward! No more tricks! Come out and face me like real man!" North yelled, swinging his sword at a nightmare horse. It was knocked out of his hand as he was kicked down. North coughed, struggling to stand up.

A golden whip torn apart two of the nightmares horses.
And a wooden boomerang finished off the last three.

.
.
.

"Come Jack... please wake up" Tooth begged, watching the candle burn slowly.

The blue candle suddenly brushed into flames. The flames ate away at the blue wax as the plants and stones shined brightly. As the flame died down, Jack's body began to glow a bright white.

Jack's ice blue eyes suddenly opened.

—————————

If anyone's read the Guardians of Childhood books you'll know why Jack has stronger magic than the other Guardians. (book lore: he was Nightlight, a guardian of the man in the moon so he's kinda op)

Also, happy New Years (2020)