Chapter 10: Recovery

————————

"Alex, you stay here in case (Y/N) comes back" Toothiana said as she slipped out of the window followed by Santa Clause and Bunny. Sandy was already petting one of Santa's reindeer down below.

"No- I want to go with you! She's my friend. I-I can't just stay here-" They were interrupted.

"This isn't up for debate, we think Jack and (Y/N) are in actual trouble. Pitch was following you both and now Jack might be fighting him off alone. (Y/N) doesn't believe in us so things might get worse-"

"Then I should go with you guys! She sees me! She'll listen to me! Please! She's-she's my only friend..." Alex sobbed as they looked at the guardians with a pitiful stare. The guardians looked amongst themselves. Toothiana looked at Santa, she was fluttering in the air, in a curled up position.

Before anyone could talk Sandy had grabbed everyone's attention. He had been frantically pointing to the distance. There was a gush of wind, harshly blowing against them and the open window. A frantic spirit grew nearer as the wind blew harder.

"Jack?" Santa whispered, squinting to make sure that he wasn't seeing things. "Jack!"

"Guys! I need your help!" Jack yelled as he almost crashed into the other guardians. He looked back at (Y/N), she seemed to have finally given out from the cold. "I brought her over but she's already-"

Before he could finish he sentence the girl was ripped out of his arms by Bunny. Something that he found strange since she couldn't see them earlier today, but chose to ignore it for now.

"What were you thinking?! She's a bloody popsicle!" Bunny scolded as he handed her over to Alex who immediately began to remove her frozen jacket. Toothiana flew over the girl, unsure of what she could do.

"Oh dear..! she's turning blue..!" she mumbled.

"Jack. Wait outside, you're making the room colder" Santa said as he urged him out the window.

"But I-" Jack was interrupted by a hand being placed on his shoulder. It was Sandy who just gave him a look that told him to just listen. "Alright..."

Jack watched as Alex wrapped (Y/N) up in blankets. He watched as the other guardians did what they could to help her. Santa gave her his large winter coat, Toothiana seemed to be bringing in more blankets while her fairies cuddled up against (Y/N) in hopes of warming her up. Bunny had her in his arms, but it was clear that she was unbearably cold. Sandy seemed to offering his golden sand as a way to bring her comfort in her unconscious state.

Jack just stared from outside the room. The blizzard had died down, but snow still fell down from the gray skies. His face lit up as he saw Santa point outside towards him. Toothiana flew over to the window still curled up. She gave him a weak smile before closing the window and looking back to find more blankets.

Jack looked inside the room. He watched as (Y/N)'s parents ran into the room in panic. He watched as they sobbed, hugging their daughter, glad to know that she was alive before their faces fell into concern. He watched as they placed her into their car and drove away, probably to get her to a hospital. He watched as the other guardians seemed to follow behind the car.

He watched the snow fall.
He watched them all leave him behind.

.

.

.

The news had a sudden emergency warning moments after your parents began to wonder where you were.

"A sudden blizzard was forming."

The new stations all blamed global warming for this unnatural occurrence. All were advised to stay indoors until it blew over, since it was too dangerous for anyone to adventure on their own. And yet against those risks, your parents were ready to go out to look for you. They didn't spend years fighting for your custody, years of raising you just so Mother Nature could rip you away from their lives so soon.

And they would of search all night and day, despite the blizzard, had they not heard Alex practically screaming your name. Immediately they ran back inside their house, leaving the doors to their car open, as they raced back inside.

The relief and panic that they felt as they saw you laying on the floor, surrounded by blankets and Alex sobbing at your frozen state.

No questions were asked as they all crowed into the car and drove your nearly frozen body to the hospital. No one seemed to notice the faint jingling of bells that followed them nor the small swarm of humming birds.

.

.

.

"What were you kids thinking going out into the woods?!" Your mother wailed as you laid on a bed, unconscious.

You've been like that for over a day.

There were IVs coming out of your arms, the warmed fluids sinking into your bloodstream. The color was slowly returning to your face, at least you weren't blue anymore. Your clothes were changed and you had been covered in a mass amount of blankets. There was an air purifier in the corner, running warm air constantly. Everything was done to make sure you'd recover faster.

Alex looked at their hands in utter shame, not knowing how to respond considering how no one else seemed to believe them when they spoke about the Guardians. They just stayed quiet as they were scolded by your mother and soon their own parents who rushed to the hospital as soon as they found out what had happened.

.

.

.

The frost spirit watched from the window of (Y/N)'s hospital room. He leaned against the clear glass, the feeling of guilt washing over him. His hood was pulled over his hair, his body curled up on the overhang. He had no idea what to do, he couldn't go inside and apologize. She didn't believe in him... right?

His mind flashed back to the moment he found her, nearly buried underneath all that snow. He was sure that she would of died, but she reached out to him. She grabbed him. She spoke to him.

He wasn't sure what happened then. But he was going to find out.

The spirit's eyes wondered around the girl's room before looking out towards the street. He saw black sand curl around the lampposts, actively avoiding the light.

He flew down and jabbed his staff towards the sand, shooting ice at it and freezing it. The other sand seemed to retreat back into the shadows. He flew back up to the window and sat at the overhang.

If he couldn't help her directly, he'll help her like this instead. He'll make sure that she can recover easily.

————————