Chapter 5: Run

----------------------

"What." You say bluntly before turning around.

"Don't-!" Alex says before they clasp their hands over their mouth in panic. "Don't move. Just go away"

"What are you even talking about?" You ask as you stand up and take a better look at the bushes behind you. Alex was practically flailing in their spot as you neared the bush yet you paid no mind to them. There was absolutely nothing. No marks, no animals, nothing was there except for the trail you guys have been following for the last hour. You look back at Alex who looked ready to wet themselves in fear. "Alex are you alright-"

"Get away from her!" Alex yelled at the top of their lungs making you jump back startled. They immediately lunged at your direction and swung a fist behind you, hitting nothing but air.

"Alex what the heck are you doing?!" You yelled as Alex suddenly grabbed your hand and dragged you away from your small picnic area. Alex led you through many different directions, suddenly switching or doubling back every so often. It was as if they were running away from something. Whenever you both would run one way Alex would suddenly shove you in a different direction and lead you further into the forest that you both had been exploring. The stranger thing was that you both were still following the trail of soot. "Alex! Stop running! There's nothing following us!"

Alex quickly shot a glance at you who was still having trouble keeping up with them. They seemed to be searching for something behind you. They let out a harsh gasp and immediately quicken their sprint, nearly making you trip in the process.

"Alex- AH!" You nearly tripped. "Stop running! Please..!"

"Can't... There's something..! Behind us!" They gasped.

They were frantically looking around the both of you as you noticed something in the distance. Your eyes widen as you realized what could happen.

"Alex! Look! In front of you!" You yelled as the view of a cliff neared.

"Wha-!" Alex said as they immediately stopped once they caught an eye of the cliff. Stopping a couple meters before the cliff you both dropped to the ground to catch your breaths. At least you did.

"What the actual heck, Alex?!" You gasped as you clutched their arm in anger. They looked at you, clearly startled.

"What do you mean 'What the heck'?!" Alex yelled. "Did you not see that shadow man chasing after us?!"

"What shadow man?! Have your lost your marbles?!" You yelled. Bickering back and forth you failed to realize the suddenly chill in the air. It grew thick as tension seemed to rise as well. Alex was the first one to notice it but it was too late.

"(Y/N)!"

Things seemed to slow down to a stop as the dirt under you seemed to shift underneath your feet. Eyes widening you saw the ground around you seem to pull away from you. Except it wasn't. You were the one moving away.

Mud slide?

No, the ground wasn't that wet. Was it? Your eyes darted to Alex who seemed to be in mid swing, trying to aim at something. At what, you couldn't tell. Slowly things went back into motion and you were hurled forward, dirt falling after you. A scream was caught in your throat as you saw the ground below you disappear and be replaced by a long drop down. You felt the ground leave your feet, you felt yourself fall. Finally, the scream left your throat.