Chapter 21: A Snow Day in Exchange for You Believing in Me

————————

"... and on a different note! The weather!" The man on the TV flashed a smile as the camera switched to the weather lady.

"Thank you Larry. Now, as you can see here on the screen behind me. (Town name) has gotten a pleasant surprise this year! For the first time in decades the town residents have their first snow day!"

You stood in front of the window, holding the blinds wide open. Your eye twitched as you glared down the white blanket of snow. The news continued to play in the background, the weather lady seeming to linger on the sudden snow day before turning to cover other areas. You sighed, letting the curtains go as you rubbed your eyes with the palms of your hands.

"This is just a dream..." you grumbled as you began to make your way back up the stairs. Part of you believed that by going back up the stairs and into bed you would be able to wake up from this dream. You were sure it was a dream. There's no way that there was snow outside. In fact, you were so positive that this was a dream that you were willing to bet your ukulele. As you neared the top of the stairs the front door flung open. It was Alex. They were covered in many layers and snow, looking excited.

"(Y/N)! THERES SNOW OUTSIDE" They yelled, already tracking snow inside the house. You grimaced as the cold wind from outside nipped at your skin.

"Yeah, I can see that. Well, have fun. I'm going back to sleep" You waved, yawning loudly. You didn't get far before Alex was already dragging you to your room.

"No sleep! It's time to play!"

You groaned, knowing that this wasn't a dream. It was an inconvenience at most.

.
.
.

"Look (Y/N)! It's a snow man!" Alex smiled as they placed a top hat on top of the mountain of snow. You nodded, packing another snowball and setting it aside. Behind you was a small mountain of snowballs. All made by you. Rubbing your hands together you nodded at Alex's creation. Your hands shook slightly from the cold.

"That's cool Alex! But can we go back inside? I'm freezing here" your teeth chattered as you tried to pack another snowball. Alex groaned, not really wanting to go back inside.

"But (Y/N)! This is snow! Snow! So much snow! Jack did this for us-"

"And I'm leaving" You huffed, already making your way inside. This whole guardians thing was really getting to you. Sometimes you wished that Alex would just- grow up. And stop believing in childish things like the guardians. Honestly, it's like they don't wanna grow up. No body wants to but too bad, there's no choice. Hopefully Alex will understand that soon. You ran a hand through your hair in hopes of calming down. A twinge of guilt washed over you as that thought crossed your mind. You really shouldn't be too hard on them-

"OOF"

You stumbled forward as one of your snowballs collided against your back. A gust of cold air soon picked up after the collision, sending shivers down your neck. Your head snapped back to glare at Alex, who you assumed was the one who threw the snowball at you. Your brows were furrowed together as a soft growl rumbled in your throat.

"What the he—" Your voice got caught in your throat as the ice blue eyes appeared in front of you. Your body tensed, unsure of what to do. Your face shifted into a more surprised state as you fully turned to face the eyes. Your eyes couldn't seem to focus on them, they seemed distant... and sad..? "Who..."

"Jack! You're here!" Alex cheered as they approached the pair of eyes. You froze in your stop, not sure what to make of things.

Jack?
As in Jack Frost?
The so called Guardian of Fun that Alex went on and on about?
It couldn't be... could it?
What was going on?

You shivered as the temperature seemed to drop. You watched as Alex talked happily to the set of eyes, the eyes continued to shift in and out of focus for you. Your voice seemed caught in your throat as you looked to the ground, not wanting to look at the eyes anymore. This was some kind of joke right? A prank that Alex came up with in order to get you to believe in these guardians that they always went on about. As you continued to talk yourself out of believing that this was real you failed to notice that Alex was no longer talking to the eyes- to Jack.

"(Y/N)?"

Your head snapped up, the ice blue eyes in front of your face. It seemed that Alex knew what was going on already.

"Can you... see me?"

Your heart stopped as you realized that it wasn't Alex you heard before. It was the eyes. The eyes in front of you seemed to shift into focus as well as it's face and body. You could make out white hair, blue clothing, and pale skin. Panic flooded your senses.

"... no... no no no no-" your words came out rushed as you covered your ears. Your eyes shut close as you tried to tell yourself otherwise. "This isn't real... this isn't real... I'm imagining things! This isn't real!"

Your eyes opened again, the eyes gone as if they were never there.

—————————