Chapter 24: Messages On the Windows

———————

You can see these right?

Your eyes were trained onto your phone screen, refusing to look at your fogged window. There was another message on there- you could feel it. And you didn't want to read it.

The sound of a finger dragging against your window made you cringe. Your hand turned up the volume on your phone, hoping to drown out the sound.

I just want to talk to you.
I know you can see me.

You groaned as you pulled your covers closer to yourself. Ever since the first snow day you knew that someone was following you. And it was only confirmed when you made the mistake of reading the first message.

"What do I say... what do I say?" The frost spirit mumbled as he placed a finger on (Y/N)'s window. Frost spread across the window in intricate patterns as he thought about what he could say to the girl. He didn't want to sound weird but he also didn't want to alarm her. How can he tell her that she's in danger without scaring the absolute life out of her?

The frost spirit let out a small whine as he raffled his hair in an attempt to figure something out.

With a deep breath his finger pressed against the frosted glass as he wrote on it.

Hi

He looked at his work briefly before deciding to add a smiley face in hopes of coming off as friendly and not creepy. "Much better!"

He looked through one of the non frosted panels to find you scribbling on a piece of paper. Homework. It looked complicated from where he was. Unconsciously he began to lean into the window, unaware that it was opened slightly. Jack let out a gasp as he came tumbling into your room, followed by a groan of pain as he landed on his face.

"Ahhhh.... that's gonna leave a mark..."

His staff flew out of his grasp as he landed, hitting your chair making you let out a startled gasp. He seemed dazed for a bit until he noticed that you had stopped writing. You look scared, as you stared right at him. He seemed to freeze momentarily before he realized that you might not be looking at him. He got up and dusted himself off. You stayed staring at his spot before lookin around your room.

He frowned, yup. You still refused to believe.
With that realization he picked up his staff and watched as you scanned the room, hoping that you'd noticed his message. Your eyes glossed over him, your bed and your window. You didn't notice anything out of the ordinary so you turned to look at your homework again.

Jack let out a huff, "Oh come on! It's right there!"

As he complained he tapped his staff against your window. That caught your attention. Your body shot up as your head snapped to look at your window. Your sudden actions made Jack jump, and cling onto his staff for dear life. You slowly made your way to your window, eyes finally noticing the message.

Jack felt hopeful at this.

Please! I just want to talk!

That happened 3 days ago. Whoever this was, they were definitely persistent.

Your arm began to fall asleep at the position you were in, but you refused to entertain this ghost-thing anymore then you already have. The sound of more writing on your window made you crack. You suddenly sat up and glared at a new, half written message on your window. It seemed to abruptly stop when you sat up so suddenly. You swung your feet over the edge of your bed as you walked to your table and began to rummage through your things. The squeaky sound of someone writing on your window only irritated you further.

You pulled open drawer after drawer in search of one specific item. There it was! In the last drawer of course. You pulled out a clipboard with paper, reaching to grab a pen next.

tap tap tap—

"Could you be any louder?!" You finally snapped. The tapping stopped all together. You walked over to the window, one hand holding the clipboard and pen while the other was rubbing your face in annoyance.

You just yelled at thin air.
You really are losing it.

You look at your window, seeing a few messages written on them. You groaned, closing your eyes in annoyance, they were all backwards. This ghost must not be the sharpest. You cracked open one eye, a flicker of something blue in the evening sky nearly made you want to close your curtains and forget about this. Against your better judgement you cracked open your window slightly. Cold air nipped at you immediately and you hissed.

You opened the window fully and stared at the blue. Slowly they form into eyes, the same ones that had been haunting you for a while now. You took a deep breath before speaking.

"You... you do know that everything is backwards... right," you sounded tired as you pointed at the writing on your window. The eyes seemed to flicker slightly, but refused to move. You felt uncomfortable with the eyes. And even more so with the fact that you were basically talking to yourself. You waved it off, "Never mind that, just- here. I think it'll be easier to use this instead of using my.... my window"

You set your clipboard on your window still, a bit anxious. You looked as the eyes seemed to drift from you to your clipboard. You watched with worry as the pen floated up and began to drag across the piece of paper. You folded your arms across your chest as you waited for the pen to stop moving, in hopes of keeping them warm. Once the pen stopped moving it placed itself down on the clipboard. The clipboard scooted towards you. Shakily you picked up and turned it around to read it right. The letters were surprisingly neat though they did seem a bit awkwardly placed. Similar to a lot of the boys' hand writing in your grade.

The words you read made a feeling of dread wash over you.

You're in danger.
I'm here to help you.

———————————