Chapter 8: Abandoned

——————————

"Alex! Answer me!"

You screamed into the wind. There was no reply and your mind drifted into the worst possible explanations for the sudden disappearance of the cave.

A cave in.
Snowed in.
A hallucination.

Breathing and pace increasing as you continued to run down the snowed in ravine.

"ALEX PLEASE!" You cried. The wind was blowing harshly, the snow was still falling onto your frail body.

"ANSWER ME!"

.

.

.

"I need to get help...!"

Wind rushed pass the pale white figure. Snow that fell from the sky was only falling harder as it was tied with his emotions.

"Why didn't I take a globe before leaving?!" The spirit cursed as he tugged on his white hair. The frost that covered his staff grew alongside his worries. He knew that worrying about that right now wasn't a good idea. He had to focus on finding a way back to the others, or the very least to someone who can see him.

The sky was covered in dark clouds, spinning around and creating a whirlwind of  not only snow but worries. Without any other way to go he doubled back, hoping that he could find something- anything. A sinking feeling lurched in his stomach as he cursed himself for thinking that he could handle this.

He was just getting the hang of things, he was- by no means- an expert like the others.

Wait.

His eyes frantically looked around.

"Wh... where'd she go..?" He whispered to himself, his voice trembling.

By now he realized what he had done to the ravine. He had buried it all under several feet of snow. He looked mortified at the sight, but quickly realized that it was his doing. A quick glance at his staff was all he needed to see to realize that he let his emotions out of hand. The staff was practically ice by now and the clouds above him were a dark grey, raining down harshly.

"Well well well, what do we have here?" A deep voice taunted from an opening in the ravine.

Without much thought the spirit swung his staff at the opening, ice covering it soon after. With his guard still up, he realized that he had missed.

"Oh Jack, you're looking paler than usual... what seems to be the problem-" the voice didn't get far before Jack interrupted.

"No more games Pitch! Now tell me where you put her!" He growled, actively searching for the boogeyman. A sickening chuckle echoed through the blizzard.

"Me? Why I didn't do anything. It was you who abandoned her"

"I would never-"

"You're the one who left her behind once she collapsed Jack, don't try to say otherwise" Pitch spoke with a dark tone.

Don't say anything.

Jack growled at Pitch's words, even though he knew that they were just meant to agitate him. Yet he shot a blast of ice towards the voice which only resulted in a cackle from the boogieman.

"What's the matter Jack? Can't handle the truth?"
.
.
.

"I... I'm all alone. Alex is all alone..."

—————————