Chapter 7: Doubling Back

——————————

As your song came to an end you took notice of Alex and how they haven't stop talking to themselves yet. A frown graced your face. At that point you were too keen on what to do anymore. You could walk home by yourself, or try to convince Alex (one last time) to accompany you. You watch how Alex had sat down on a rock, looking at the giant boulder that sat dangerously in the middle of the room. They looked like a child staring at a free candy shop. You huffed, brushing your hair back.

"Hey, where you going (Y/N)?" Alex asked, noticing that you had picked up your now dry jacket and put it on.

You looked back at Alex, who was just talking to themselves a few seconds prior to you moving. Sighing you rubbed your tired face.

"Home. If you want to come that'll be ideal, if not" You picked up your backpack and sling it over your shoulders. "I'll send a search party to look for you. I'm too tired to deal with you right now"

"But Santa-"

"But I don't care. I'm tired, hungry, and fed up right now. Later" you said, walking out of the warm cave.

"Wait! (Y/N)! Listen to me-"

You ignored Alex's attempts to coax you back into the cave. The only thing you caught was Alex asking "Jack Frost" to accompany you.

"What a joke" you spoke to yourself.
.
.
.

It was growing late now. The sun had set a while ago, an it was getting increasingly colder. Like, freezing cold. Shivering you wrapped your arms around your body. Your jacket wasn't all that helpful, it was far too thin to provide any warmth.

"Ah... ah.. AHCOO" you sneezed, startling the birds hanging around the bottom of the ravine which scared you in return. You sniffled, pulling your coat closer to your frame despite it not being completely dry. The cold temperature was definitely upsetting you. "Ah! Why is it so cold?!" you hissed through chattering teeth.

As if some kind of weird miracle (or pure coincidence) the chilling air lifted and it grew 10 degrees warmer. Pondering for a while you walked in edging silence. This whole situation was unnerving for you, your friend losing it and talking to themselves while you both managed to get lost in the middle of some kind of messed up woods. What if you both accidentally ate some kind of shrooms while resting? That would explain a lot, like the snow... Yeah, no thats normal. Right? It was still winter break and you were exploring the woods. Snow isn't impossible, just not likely.

You decided that questioning what was happening wasn't useful and just a waste of brain power. Instead you focused on finding high ground and making your way back to town where you could tell the police that, hey. My friend is high and stuck in the bottom of a ravine. They wouldn't cooperate so I left... them... there... ahhhh-

You audibly winced at your story.
That wouldn't look good for you, like, at all.

You inhaled sharply before grabbing fistfuls of your hair. "ARRRRRRGH! ALEX!"

You immediately beelined for that cave again, hoping that you could just grab them and leave this cursed forest. You were incredibly tired, both mentally and physically. Not having slept well for weeks and having cheated death wasn't helping. Actually, you were surprised that you were running across the ravine right now....

Suddenly, as if by some cruel joke set up by fate, your head began to pulse with horrible pain. Mid run your vision began to fail you, black spots dances across your line of sight. At the same time your legs buckled underneath your weight. You could barely register what was happening before you landed on the ground with a loud thud. You had the wind knocked out of you, seeing how you couldn't prepare yourself for the fall in time.

"Wh... whoa..." You groaned as you stayed on the ground. At that point you didn't really care if you were laying on the dirt, or in a puddle. Your whole body seemed to ache tremendously. "Ahh..."

The wind picked up as you continued to lay on the ground. You barely acknowledged the change in temperature as you focused on staying awake instead.

"This... this is bad... really... really bad..." You whispered to yourself. Not only have you been having non stop nightmares that left you feeling more tired than rested compared to not sleeping. But you now have to deal with the chance of dying of hyperthermia, being eaten by wild animals, and leaving Alex alone to fend for themselves while they were high on something!

With a sudden rush of energy you began to stand up. Slowly and painfully you began to stand up, lifting your head up with much effort you looked up around you. You were growing numb to the cold air that was rushing past you except....

"Snow?" you gasped as you saw an onslaught of snowflakes begin to cover the bare ground. Shaking still you stood up. You winced as the snowflakes battered your redden face. "This is... Ugh!"

With much resent and pain you began to trod over to that cave that Alex was in.

.

.

.

You were shivering. A lot.
It didn't help that you felt like you were catching a cold.

Everything that had happened so far was just, surreal.

That trail of soot leading from your room to the middle of the woods, Alex seeing people (or ghost at this point), and the snow that saved you from certain death. You hoped that you too, were tripping balls at this point. It would of been a lot easier to explain to your parents at that point, even if they might ground you forever for that.

Actually...

You glanced around the bottom of the ravine to the best of your abilities, taking notice of the growing pile of snow that saved your life earlier. You begin to realize that the cave was no longer there.
At all.

Was it being buried in the onslaught of snow? Did it cave in?!

"A-Alex?!" You yelled into the ravine. There was no answer, only the howling of the wind blowing through the bottom of the ravine...

——————————

Trying something new, no word minimum. Feels less forced this way.