Chapter 13: Company

------------------

You laid on your bed, unsure of what to do. The days were dragging on, and nothing seemed to be entertaining you. You tossed aside your phone, sighing as you had run out of videos to watch. You glanced at the gaming console by your TV, not wanting to play on it since you already beat the games on it. A new record.

You glanced out the window, it was still cold and the skies were still gray in color. You peered down at the driveway, the shadow was no longer there. At all. Maybe you were just imagining things after all. You wouldn't be surprised really, by this point everything seemed to be like some kind of fever dream.

Speaking of dreams, you haven't had one in a long time. It's was refreshing. Incredibly so.

You grimaced as you remembered your last once, the one you had when you were passed out in the hospital. It wasn't like the others, and it wasn't pleasant either. You closed your eyes as you tried to recall what had happened in the dream, most of it was gone by now.

It was dark like usual. And cold, really cold. Maybe it was colder because of the hyperthermia?

You began to look around, there was nothing at all. It was just dark and cold. It looked like your other dreams but you seemed to have control over your own body. That was new. The darkness wasn't moving either, it was still and silent. For some reason you thought that it was gonna stay like that until you woke up but that wasn't the case. Suddenly there was a bright light, shining down on you similar to a spit light at a theater. It was blinding, and hot. You tried to move away but the light seemed to follow you. Next thing you knew you were running, trying to get away from the light. You looked around and everything seemed to be unmoving, nothing was changing. The light was burning your back side as you ran.

You just closed your eyes, hoping that it would help shield you from the light, and kept running, and slowly things got colder. Things felt like they were changing and when you opened your eyes you saw snow. You were in some kind of forest in the winter. The trees were bare and the snow was piled high, you were running down a path. You looked up as you followed the path, the harsh light replaced with the softer, and colder glow of the moon. As the path neared it's end you could see a clearing. It was covered in a blanket of snow, trees surrounding the area and a clearing let the moon shine on it. You slowed to a stop, not wanting to go further into the clearing. An uneasy feeling settling onto you as you stared at the clearing.

Then in the middle of it all, was a figure with those ice blue eyes. You saw them, wanting to approach them. Who were they? Why did you see them? Where did they come from? So many questions circled your mind as the ice blue eyes looked at you, with an almost beckoning gaze.

You ignored the sinking feeling as you began to walk into the clearing. The snow crunched underneath you as you walked up to the eyes. The eyes stared you down, looking at you. You couldn't make out a face, it was blurred.

"I'm sorry..."

You were about to ask what they meant when there was a loud cracking. You looked down and noticed that the clearing was a froze pond. You saw as the ice began to crack underneath you. Immediately you reached for the figure with the ice blue eyes only to have your hand run through it. With a last crack you fell through the ice.

It was freezing, making you immobile for a second as you began to try to swim up. Instead you sank further down, the eyes and moon staring at you from above.

"Hmmmm..." you thought back to the dream. It was weird for sure. Was it a result of your near death experience? Or was there more to it?

You stayed silent as you continued to think up reasonable explanations to your dream. Maybe it was just nothing, nothing to worry about at all. Maybe you were just overreacting.

You pulled your covers closer to you. It was getting a lot colder now, which was odd... you looked at the thermostat on the wall, it read that the temperature was lowering and quickly. You rose a brow at the sight, and brought your legs up to your body.

"I should..." you mumbled as you swung your legs over the bed side. You stood up shakily, not really use to walking since being put to bed rest. You slowly walked over to the thermostat, and looked at it. The temperature was lowering, slowly now. It settled down to an almost freezing temperature. You were about to up the temperature when you noticed a shadow by the now opened window.

It was the shadow from the driveway.

——————————